Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Wow. I didn't know that. Mike, you went and bought a Porsche instead of giving money to the poor?

Add Mike to the list of liberals who live in the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. Other who subscribe to that philosophy include Hillary Clinton and John Kerry.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by mbSVT:
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
Umm, seperation of church and state.....

18.- I think that liberals are simply trying to have equal rights for display, just as Christian mangers have the right to display their religion and faith

I'm confused as to why you're confused. Christian churches have the right to display their faith, just as gays/special interests have a right to display themselves. The deal with the ten commandments in a courtroom WAS shoving religion in someones face, as the courtroom is a public institution. The pledge allegiance thing was a stretch for me, so I can't back that one up, but the ten commandments was justifiable in taking it down.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

18.- I think that liberals are simply trying to have equal rights for display, just as Christian mangers have the right to display their religion and faith

I'm confused as to why you're confused. Christian churches have the right to display their faith, just as gays/special interests have a right to display themselves. The deal with the ten commandments in a courtroom WAS shoving religion in someones face, as the courtroom is a public institution. The pledge allegiance thing was a stretch for me, so I can't back that one up, but the ten commandments was justifiable in taking it down.

Separation of church & state, as it was intended by the founding fathers, was to prevent establishment of a "state religion". They did not want a theocracy that would deny rights or access to people of other faiths. After all, escaping religious persecution was one of the reasons for coming to the New World.

The display of various religious symbols, observance of religious customs, rights, & rituals was NOT intended to be prohibited - even in the halls of the governmental buildings themselves. The traditional prayor at the beginning of legislative sessions is testement to this. I recall a religious symbol or two on some of our early currency.

Freedom of religion - not freedom from religion. If you don't believe, don't pray, but do not trample on my right to free speech.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Ok, I can understand your point Tour de Force. I could agree with the Ten Commandments if you put an equally important "moral code" from other religions alongside it. I'm all for religious representation, my only thought was that seperation of church and state meant that the government was "religion free", but the nation as a whole could show their religion in any way they see fit. And also, IIRC, in the time the constitution was written, "religion" was simply variations of practice and belief structure in the basic religion of Christianity. The view of religion has changed quite a bit since then, seeing as how there are still those different Christian religions, but the "alternative" religions (Muslim, Buddhism) are becoming more and more popular.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M

I'm confused as to why you're confused.

I wasn't making the same distinction as you, I was just taking it all in one vein. I understand what you mean now.

Diesel owns you
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
The Ten Commandments do not support or endorse any religion.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Davo7SVT:

Essentially true, although since they come out of the bible, and are in theory issued directly from the Christian God, they are construed to be endorsement of Christianity. Its too bad, really.

Diesel owns you
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by supertouringmike:

The list goes on and on The Consevatives take care of themselves and preach at the rest of the world (Jingoists) the "liberals" try to help everyone cause we are all in this together.

wow Jingoists, your big word of the day from moveon.org? Nationalists is easier to say, and more common place. but us republicans is stupid, dem demuhcrats got all de fancy werds. We realize we're all in this together but there is something to be said for fending for yourself. Welfare is BS, unemployment benefits are fair. thats the difference mike, and if i have to go into it in more detail get your head checked.

bad call hoss, the ten commandments are commonly viewed as one of the foundations for christianity, and rightly so. although as a point of fact you're correct they do not specifically (except for the God part) endorse any religon, still a bad argument.

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

Essentially true, although since they come out of the bible, and are in theory issued directly from the Christian God, they are construed to be endorsement of Christianity. Its too bad, really.

Entirely agreed mbSVT. I am not devout to any religion, but I do think that Christianity has some amazing morals and ideals, and others that I do not entirely agree with. But I do know many people that will simply not even consider reading a bible, simply because if they do, they think they'll become a "Jesus Freak" or whatever they are afraid of.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Just because Christians used the Old Testament to found and base their moral values on does not mean the Old Testament endorses and supports Christianity.

It's rather difficult to say a document produced a couple thousand years before the start of the religion endorses that religion.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard