Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
You can see it by the number of new CEGers over the last few months.

Our cars are getting older, becoming more affordable (cheaper) for younger people to purchase.

The "old" CEG crowd is getting older, making more money and looking for more. More refinement, more luxury, more power, more options, etc.

Not very many 30-somethings want a discontinued, high milage, problematic, decontented, underpowered (by today's standards) car with a small aftermarket and low resale value.

It sucks, but it's true.

You're absolutely right, those of us that bought these cars brand new are trading them in for something more appropriate to our lifestyles. I'll be trading mine in a year or less, and my new car is going to reflect my middle-age tastes (and most likely be Asian). Many of these cars are on their second, third, or more sets of owners, and many of the Contours I see around the town I live in are being driven by people who appear to be lower income, and the cars show it....dents, missing hubcaps, etc. I don't foresee these cars becoming desirable again, where people want to spend thousands restoring them. Certainly they won't have the restoration appeal of '60's Mustangs or T-Birds. When was the last time you saw anybody trying to restore a Tempo or Granada?

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles