Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#943458 04/30/04 09:32 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by PeruvianHighlander:
...what exactly is throttle hang, and what are the symptoms?

The rpm of the engine should fall between shifts when you lift off the gas pedal during shifting. This allows for better gear synchronization. The Contour has a tendency to maintain or even increase engine rpm in these conditions making shifting a bit more challenging than it should be.

Lastly, is this an issue only for MTX vehicles?

All Contiques are subject to this phenominon. Those of us with an automatic may not view it as any kind of bother. In fact, the ATX vehicles seem a bit more 'eager' with this condition, but it's a bit of a bother in congested traffic. I have it installed in my ATX Contour because I prefer to have more control over the engine rpm. Makes my car a bit more predictable in all situations.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#943459 05/02/04 04:24 PM
P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
BJ and TDF,
thank you both. This was truly helpful in understanding what is going on under the hood while driving. You have one noob's sincere gratitude. I will probably attempt this once I figure out my cold start issue... thanks for help on that, too, TDF.

95 Ford Contour SE ATX:-( 84K V6 95 Mercury Mystique GS MTX 134K V6
#943460 05/02/04 04:30 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
BJ and TDF,
thank you both. This was truly helpful in understanding what is going on under the hood while driving. You have one noob's sincere gratitude. I will probably attempt this once I figure out my cold start issue... thanks for help on that, too, TDF.

You're most welcome, of course. We're here to help. You did a little homework on your own first, which is all the board veterans ask. You truely get a sense of what the archives & CEG membership can do for you when you troll through the site a bit.

Enjoy!

#943461 05/03/04 05:59 PM
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Its stated that a sticky valve, mislearned ECU, etc can cause the TH. If this is the case, is the TH fix (plug) still the recomended fix? Or should other things be done before trying the plug?

#943462 05/03/04 06:20 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is not doing its job of controlling idle, then that needs to be looked into. If your car is running fine except for the TH issue, then the fix should be the way to go.

All it does is limit the amount of air allowed into the intake under driving conditions. The extra air needed for cold start situations will be affected only in extreme situations.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 05/03/04 06:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard