Print Thread
#940884 04/27/04 08:52 PM
D
dcjr45 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I'm trying to replace my range sensor and was wondering where you can get the alignment tool it calls for. I called ford and they don't sell it. The sensor is in but my car has only one gear and can barely make it up my driveway without flooring it and I have a cel and o/d light which I did not have before i put the new sensor in. I'm preety sure it's out of alignment and need the "tool" for it. Can you help me out?

DENNIS 96 CONTOUR GL
#940885 04/28/04 12:14 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
There should be some alignment marks on top of the sensor that you need to line up.

Before you pull the sensor, you mark the where the alignment is pointing. There is one in the center and some more on the outter edge. When replacing with the new sensor, you drop in it and rotate it so the same marks line up as you marked on the old sensor. Then bolt it down.

Maybe someone with a Zetec can step outside and jot down which mark is aligned in which gear, for ya. That way, you can just put it in say "Neutral" and then loosen the bolt and move it to the correct position.

Reason I say, "Someone with a Zetec", is because I have a Duratec and the thermostat rest right on top of it. So it is a PITA to make out. On the Zetecs, it is siting in wide open space.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#940886 04/28/04 02:13 AM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
OK. I stepped out to the garage and took a couple pictures. One in park and one in neutral. This is a Zetec with an ATX.

http://members.aol.com/mailless/RS-Park.jpg

http://members.aol.com/mailless/RS-Neutral.jpg

If you need better pictures let me know. I can get them tomorrow. My wife has knee surgery tomorrow morning to repair her ACL, so I gotta go for tonight. I should be back by noon tomorrow and can get you better pictures then if you need them.

And don't make fun of the leaves and crap on top of my tranny. Hey... that might be why my tranny shifts so hard?

==============

98 Contour SE
91,500 Miles
Zetec, ATX

#940887 04/28/04 03:29 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Thanks Rumball and the best of luck to your wife quick recovery and a safe surgery.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#940888 04/28/04 04:00 PM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
OK. Here is the definitive info ...

The alignment tool you are looking for just lines up three slots, while the tranny is in neutral. So, you probably can do this just fine without the tool. Just put it in neutral and line up 1, 2 and 3 like in this photo...

http://members.aol.com/mailless/RS-Marks.jpg

The photo is my tranny in neutral.

As a further check, put the tranny in Drive and slots 1 and 2 should line up with the "D" mark and arrow on the range sensor.

I read my Haynes manual on this.

BTW, my wife is doing fine. Sleeping now. The ACL reconstruction went well, but they found she had a lot of cartlidge damage. Definate arthritis in her future.

Take care.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard