Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Get some thermal shielding on that box & you should have a winner!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Well, I debated on starting a new thread, but felt it would be best to keep all this stuff together. So, here we go...

Got an update of this little project!

A few small changes to point out... You might notice in the straight frontal shot that the concave of the underside of the sheild continues to the side. I found that by trying to flaten it only put stress on the metal and caused all sorts of weird problems. I centerd the MAF, but I need to bring it up about an inch so that it can align better with the TB. And finally, the rivets! Thanks for the gift Jim. The 3/16 aluminum rivets worked out just perfect. They actually worked alot better than what I thought they would. I figured I would have to use a larger size to really hold everything together, but these really added a lot of stiffness to the overall piece. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, and don't let me forget to thank hetfield for hosting my images.

And I would like to throw an idea out to you guys. I talked to someone the other night that said he knew someone local (to me) that did powder coating. He mentioned that I might be better off getting some Hotcoat Powder from Eastwood and get this guy to paint them for me. Personally, I think it would look great, but the price of the services and powder would outway to worth of the product. If you know what I mean. What do you guys think?

Anyway, that's about all I have right now. I guess I need to make one more so that I can send it to Eric and let him test it out. See if he would change anything. Then I need to let someone with a BAT pipe and then someone with a CTA pipe test fit it. Since noone ever gave me any measurements, I guess that will be the only way I will find out. So, thoughts and suggestions so far. What would you change, do differently, or whatever.

And again... A big thank you goes out to everyone that has showen support in this project and given me encouragement. With every one I make, I'm learning more and getting better. Remember, I have never done anything like this before, so I have really learned a lot up to this point!

Last edited by unisys12; 05/13/04 03:09 PM.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by unisys12:
And I would like to throw an idea out to you guys. I talked to someone the other night that said he knew someone local (to me) that did powder coating. He mentioned that I might be better off getting some Hotcoat Powder from Eastwood and get this guy to paint them for me. Personally, I think it would look great, but the price of the services and powder would outway to worth of the product. If you know what I mean. What do you guys think?

Well, I show my car in Show&Shine competitions, so having a nice powdercoat that will at least closely match any other powdercoating in the engine bay would be a plus. Not everyone is that anal about appearances, though. I still think any kind of low-conductive coating will help insulate the inside of the shield. If I were in your shoes I'd definitely take the offer.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by hetfield:
Originally posted by unisys12:

Well, I show my car in Show&Shine competitions, so having a nice powdercoat that will at least closely match any other powdercoating in the engine bay would be a plus. Not everyone is that anal about appearances, though. I still think any kind of low-conductive coating will help insulate the inside of the shield. If I were in your shoes I'd definitely take the offer.

Well, I will give this guy the dementions and see what we can come up with. Only problem we might run into with getting this stuff from Eastwood is that they only have a few colors. Black, I think two shades of grey and one that is suppose to be silver. I might have to do some more research, but that is what they have in High Temp coatings.

Thanks for the input.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
For what it's worth, I believe that those "high temp" coatings are designed only to be resistant to high temperatures, not actually thermally shield the box.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Awright Phil! But check this mangh, I cut the corners off my MAF so the filter attaches directly to it. Hmmmm, methinks it'll still attach more-or-less the same; just cut the opening to the MAF a little small so I can trim it back just enough to stay snug.

Testing stuff is fun! "Aw no officer, I wasn't going 75 in a 35 mountain road, I was testin CRZYDRVR's new rear strut tower bar! And those skid marks around the corners are my test results. Aw, I gotta go back to jail? Aw, ok. Mind if I drive? Ok, guess not. " <-that's how well I test products!!

And Jim - boy howdy if you ain't talkin smack 'bout me! I'll show you wut fer!! Dez youn wipersnappers....

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
And Jim - boy howdy if you ain't talkin smack 'bout me! I'll show you wut fer!! Dez youn wipersnappers....

GEEZ!! I was wondering if you'd ever notice that subtle dig. You old folks, your minds just ain't as sharp as they oughta be.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by weargle:
For what it's worth, I believe that those "high temp" coatings are designed only to be resistant to high temperatures, not actually thermally shield the box.

Oh yeah, I agree. But if the powder coating can be put on top of the ceramic, then we would be in business. I'm not sure if it can though. I will have to do some reading on powder coating prep I guess. More learning stuff to do!!

Eric, I looked on your cardomain site and maybe I was too busy laughing at all that stuff you got on there, so I might have missed a shot of your intake set-up. If you got one, shot it to me in a PM and let me see what your talking about if you can.

I should change my sig to, "Today, I visited Chattavegas's Cardomain site and now my life will never be the same! " Man you got some funny stuff on there!!

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Yeah, most of it is just hosted on the site. I've got a lot of stuff I save for rainy days that no one else can see.

Ya know, I'm not sure if I have any pics of my intake set up. Basically, take the stock MAF and cut off the four screws in the four corners so it's a round tube, more or less. Then tighten the K&N 3530 straight to it. No muss, no fuss. Wait, slight muss, no MAF adapter.

And Jim - oooooo I'll get you yet!

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
And Jim - oooooo I'll get you yet!

You already did with your sig. You mean, mean man!

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard