Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
#929424 04/29/04 10:43 AM
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M

So.. theoretically, a compressed air cylinder, running through some metal piping coiled round the air intake
(loosely so as not to obstruct flow) When cracked open
(causing the pipes to ice up) would give you a power boost
of possibly 10-20 HP.

All I need now is to connect some copper piping to some 300bar dive cylinders.

-------------------------- '99 Mondeo ST24 Nice quiet Milltek cat-back exhaust Noisy K&N 57i Wanted: 3L block and a ST200 / SVT to pull bits from
#929425 04/29/04 03:02 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
unisys12, watch that aluminum around those battery terminals... if you know what I mean...

#929426 04/29/04 10:48 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by ZuzuMonk:
unisys12, watch that aluminum around those battery terminals... if you know what I mean...

Why?

J/K

got my aluminum today and hope to have it marked out tonight and ready for the first cuts tomorrow afternoon.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#929427 04/29/04 10:51 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by marv:

So.. theoretically, a compressed air cylinder, running through some metal piping coiled round the air intake
(loosely so as not to obstruct flow) When cracked open
(causing the pipes to ice up) would give you a power boost
of possibly 10-20 HP.

All I need now is to connect some copper piping to some 300bar dive cylinders.

Hell, just run your A/C lines into the heatsheild and you would have a steady supply of cold air.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#929428 04/30/04 05:41 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by unisys12:
Hell, just run your A/C lines into the heatsheild and you would have a steady supply of cold air.

http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#929429 05/01/04 12:35 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by unisys12:

got my aluminum today and hope to have it marked out tonight and ready for the first cuts tomorrow afternoon.

I have cut out the first two pieces, which would make up the first sheild and I would have to say that, even thougn I am not done, it would be easier for me to make mine in three pieces rather than one.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Well I finished my first attempt at this sheild and I'm not very happy with how it all went together. First off, I will say that I have ZERO experience at doing stuff like this, so I figure that has a bit to do with it. Second, to save money, I used black metal screws instead of rivets. Besides saving money, I can easily and cheaply take it back apart to reuse a piece or modify a piece if need be.

Now, for a few notes on things I didn't like...

Its not very ridged at all. I'm thinking that this material will be fine for the stage of R&D that I am at right now, but I'm not sure if I would want to make a sheild for someone else with it. It was pretty easy to bend the bottom piece somewhat into shape. From there, I was able to use the cut made on the firewall side to mold it just right.

The main reason I am worried about the stiffness of this material is because, what happens after I apply the cermaic coating, paint and clear coat and someone accidentally bumped it while installing it? The coating might crack or something like that. I know that we tend to remove our air filters or intakes on normal basis, so that really worries me.

To combat this, I could use a thicker material for the sides and this thinner material for the bottom. I could apply some thin A/C vent tape to the bottom piece, either to the inside or outside, to make up for the thermal differences between the thinner and thicker materials.

And the rear tab, that acts as a mounting point... Man. I really like this idea and want to stick with it, but it seems to complicate the whole thing so much, that it might be better to scrape it for right now and just concentrate on getting the rest of the unit to a buildable/reproducable state. Then, worry about it as time permits.

And speaking of time permitting... Not to bum anyone out or anything like that, but it turns out that I will have a lot more free time on my hands for the next week or two. Turns out that friday, I got the call to say I was laid off from work after 5 and a half years with the company. So I will be able to put a little more time into this, even if it is at night.

V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Hey, sorry to hear about the job man. I hope you get back on the job soon....

Anyways, thanks for all the R&D that you're doing on this pet project of yours. We "regular guys" especially thank you.

Yeah, be sure and keep us updated on your progress.

BTW, that was a crappy job you did caoching the Lakers today!

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
#929432 05/03/04 04:01 AM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Phil, sorry to hear about your job. I hope you've been sending out resumes & making connections. I guess now is the time to start checking Huntsville & pionts south/east for another spot.

What is it you'd like to do for a living? Maybe we've got something in Florida for you & the Mrs. I'll help out any way I can...

By the way, those girls ready to help with your manufacturing of the Jackson intake? Get that thing done, could be your first cash cow for CEG, FCO, & NECO.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard