Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
#929404 04/20/04 01:33 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Molding the "box" of this thing to the form of the hood and around the fender walls and sealing with some sort of weather-stripping is the only way to go here. Simply a square/rectangle box isn't going to do much good, it would have to be too small.

The fender hose idea sounds good too. The hole's there, why not use it?

Sounds like you're covering all your bases unisys12, keep up the good work! I definately can't wait to see the finished product (and make a purchase hehe)

#929405 04/20/04 05:44 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Quote:

its not to scale... but the design

I guess I should have said, its not exactly how mine is.
But I was showing how to make it out of one piece of metal

Well like I sorta said its a rough idea,
in my actual one, I have cut out the fender area that the bottom
"plate" sits on/near, which allows the bottom to go further down
and its matched to the curve of the fender
I also have a Cold Air Feed coming into the bottom
panel of the box.. I much rather feed it cold air, than
put my filter near the ground.

The only thing I have yet to do, is fine AFFORDABLE
Gasketing material. to mate it to the hood.

The box, as you probably have found, makes the intake
louder as well.

I might decide to go ahead and Fiberglass what I have already...
this weekend.

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
#929406 04/20/04 11:19 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Eric Ford:
Quote:

its not to scale... but the design

I guess I should have said, its not exactly how mine is.
But I was showing how to make it out of one piece of metal

I got exactly what you were saying. And I don't want you think that I might have been lashing out. It's all good!

Eric, taking your basic design you got there... here's what I did when making mine, to make it different.

That is what I meant in my post above still using one piece of metal. To be honest with you, I am stoked! Using one peice of material will make it much easier to make.

As for the contour on the bottom, well I figured that if you fold the sides up and place the unfinished sheild in place, you could form the base by hand and use the firewall side of the shield as a guard.

Man! I am really thinking this will work out great.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#929407 04/20/04 11:47 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
yea, thats what mine looks like...
instead of rivots, I used zip ties..
remember I used corrugated plastic.

But I think I will Fiberglass it this weekend...

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
#929408 04/27/04 08:03 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I went to Lowes the other day and bought some Aluminum flashing (for roofs), very bendable. It was a 10' x 14" roll. I made a shield around my filter and it held up pretty good. The stuff didn't get hot at all today when I was driving around town. I may sandwich some insulation in between two pieces of the flashing to make it even better.

My only question is that if you don't make a perfectly sealed box around the filter, won't the filter just grab air from under the hood instead of getting outside air?

#929409 04/27/04 09:12 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I just took temperature measurements while driving around, with my nifty Radio Shack indoor/outdoor digital thermometer.

The engine was already very warm from previous driving:

'Inside' Heat shield
Max - 81.0º
Min - 73.4º
Avg - 75.6º

Inside the car (1 window open)
Max - 78.3º (blazing! )
Min - 75.9º

And finally, on the other side of the heat shield:
118.2º

So I guess it is working...at least partially...

#929410 04/28/04 12:05 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by ZuzuMonk:

My only question is that if you don't make a perfectly sealed box around the filter, won't the filter just grab air from under the hood instead of getting outside air?

Yep. Hince the reason I put the cut-outs on the end of the sheild that rests against the fender wall (where the wiring harness is). That way, I can place some foam or weather striping that will seal it off as well and not just from the top of the sheild where it meets the hood of the car.

I was looking at that rolled aluminuim and was thinking of getting some, but was shure which I should get so I figured that I would wait and learn a little more about which would be best. I found some 29 guage (IIRC) galvinized aluminum rolls for a decent price, so i might go with that. I mean, since it is going to have the ceramic coating and then paint... who cares what it looks like. Right?

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#929411 04/28/04 12:06 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
'Inside' Heat shield
Max - 81.0º
Min - 73.4º
Avg - 75.6º

Inside the car (1 window open)
Max - 78.3º (blazing! )
Min - 75.9º

118.2º

So I guess it is working...at least partially...

I wonder what the outside temp was?

#929412 04/28/04 02:22 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
'Inside' Heat shield
Avg - 75.6º

118.2º

Wow, thats great data. When can I order? I'm amazed at the difference in temperature. Since it seems your airbox temp is nearly right on with ambient temps (at least what it is inside your car with the window open) I'd say the heatsheild is really working well.

#929413 04/28/04 03:35 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by rkneeshaw:
'Inside' Heat shield
Avg - 75.6º

118.2º

Wow, thats great data. When can I order? I'm amazed at the difference in temperature. Since it seems your airbox temp is nearly right on with ambient temps (at least what it is inside your car with the window open) I'd say the heatsheild is really working well.

I was suppose to build one this past weekend, but... well I think everyone that has family knows that sometimes things don't always workout as you might have planed when it comes to money, so I wont go there. But I should be able to spring the cash for the materials needed this weekend. I will not be able to get my hands on that ceramic coating for another week though.

I really can't wait to see the difference the ceramic coating along with paint might have. Maybe not a lot, but since these numbers are pretty close to ambiant, anything that can put you even closer would be great.

Oh... and I might just have a lot more time on my hands in the next few weeks, so making these might not be a problem for me after all. If I can just get the materials and get one made before all hell breaks loose, I shouldn't have a problem. I will let everyone know.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard