Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#916085 04/01/04 08:16 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by sigma:

It's too bad that every government agency, both domestic and international (including OPEC themselves) and every oil company disagrees with you.

How do you know EVERY single one disagrees with me? Did you interview them? Did you reasearch every single oil company on the planet?

I never said that we don't find more oil everyday. We know there is more oil out there. Problem is we don't find more at a pace that even comes to close to matching our usage increase every year

I know you never said we don't find oil, so why are you telling this to me?

Have you seen the size of of the oil rigs being built now? Billions of dollars just to hit a few pockets of oil. Oil rig construction peaked years ago. The rigs now need to be far too large to go deep enough and don't get a good return.
We will have to drill that oil at some point -- but you'll be paying $20/gallon for it.

Yes I have seen the size of the oil rigs today and I am aware of the money it takes to drill deep into the ocean.
I'll never pay $20 a gallon, you must be out of your mind. If the price of gas goes to $20 I will ride a bike wherever I have to go and limit what I take with me.

If there's so much oil than why for the last 3 months has every Oil and Natural Gas producer been revising their reserve estimates by HUGE amounts.

So you say they have less oil and thats why they are revising their reserve estimates but for some reason they are pumping more oil per day than what their quota is. Interesting

Quote:

We'll be using oil for at least another 150 years, and I'm sure they'll have another energy source by then anyways.

Putting your fingers in your ears and going "La-la-la-la-la" doesn't make the problem go away. We haven't found a replacement for oil in 150 years, what makes you think we're going to find one in the nextg 150 years?

I don't think sticky our fingers in our ears and singing gaily will accomplish anything either. And you don't think that how the technology in the last 100 years has changed that we won't expand even more technologically? [censored], I bet we have a substitute for oil within 100 years.You must be borderline braindead to not think that we won't have another substitute for oil. We will have to have one, cause it'll take 50 years to improve on the substitute to get it to where we have oil today.

"I'm not above the law, I'm beyond the law" 1999 CSVT Toreador Red Magnaflow Resonator and large K&N
#916086 04/01/04 08:27 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by JayBoSVT:

How do you know EVERY single one disagrees with me? Did you interview them? Did you reasearch every single oil company on the planet?

So, its your word against those who WORK in the industry ? You seriously think they are making this up ?

Originally posted by JayBoSVT:
And you don't think that how the technology in the last 100 years has changed that we won't expand even more technologically? [censored], I bet we have a substitute for oil within 100 years.You must be borderline braindead to not think that we won't have another substitute for oil. We will have to have one, cause it'll take 50 years to improve on the substitute to get it to where we have oil today.

Who is going to pay for it ? Certainly not the oil companies. Where did you pull 50 years from, by the way ?

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
#916087 04/01/04 09:18 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
1.82 here in west virginia

#916088 04/01/04 09:58 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I agree that gas prices will probably keep going up. $3 or $4 a gallon could come sooner than we realize, and it would be hugely disruptive. But you know, I'm not too worried about it. We would adapt. We would change our lifestyles a lot. For example, no more gas guzzlers (soccer moms will no longer drive Excursions), lots of diesel cars running on vegetable oil (biodiesel), increased renewable energy production (wind, solar, geothermal, etc.), suburbanites will work closer to home, more walkable shopping areas will be built in the suburbs, more people will work from home, more public transportation. Not altogether such a bad scenario.

#916089 04/01/04 10:07 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

I don't need EVERY single one of them to agree with me. How many companies agree with your standing?

I've at least named names on companies/agencies that agree that the near future for Oil is bleak at best, how many have you named?

Quote:

Yes I have seen the size of the oil rigs today and I am aware of the money it takes to drill deep into the ocean.
I'll never pay $20 a gallon, you must be out of your mind. If the price of gas goes to $20 I will ride a bike wherever I have to go and limit what I take with me.

I sure as hell hope you live a lot closer to your work than I do.

If you wanted to move closer to work to be able to bike, only so many people can live close to their offices. My company has 3500 people working in one building, we couldn't all live within biking distance of the office if we wanted to.

Good luck taking your family anywhere on that bike -- so the tourism, airline, hotel business would evaporate. Putting tens of millions out of work.

And I guess we shouldn't worry about those tens of millions of people in this country employed in some manner by the automotive or oil companies.

Oh, and the price of everything you bought would be HUGE. With as much as 80% of the price of a good being the transporation cost, and 80% of transportation cost being fuel, low-priced items would SKYROCKET in price.

And, since our food is largely produced with energy from oil, that'll be more expensive too.

The entire transportation industry fluctuates with pennies in fuel change. Every penny costs my company $20 million/year. We buy gas on thousandths of a penny. There's little doubt that I will likely be out of a job when gas prices double in the near future.

Quote:

So you say they have less oil and thats why they are revising their reserve estimates but for some reason they are pumping more oil per day than what their quota is. Interesting

What do you think a quota is?

A quota has ZERO to do with what a field is capable of producing.

It is a FACT that oil production has dropped over the last 4 years while while MORE money is spent to retrieve the lessor amount of oil.

Simple math says that makes the price of oil go up. At the rate of increase, the price will be over $5.00/gallon in CA within 3-4 years and across the entire US in no more than 5.

Quote:

And you don't think that how the technology in the last 100 years has changed that we won't expand even more technologically?

Sure, we're likely expand more in 100 years.

Too bad our economy will hit the shitter within the next 5 years as the price of oil skyrockets creating a huge hinderance for the development of alternatives.

Come on now, I've provided you lots of FACTS from a variety of different sources. If you're going to counter my claims, back 'em up with some substance. The only thing you even respond to are my subjective statements.

Maybe you'll listen to the Energy Advisor to the President of the United States:

"...The solution is to pray. Under the best of circumstances, if all prayers are answered there will be no crisis for maybe two years. After that itâ??s a certainty.

Or maybe something not quite so dire (he is a politician, can't be too doomsday-ish), from the US Secretary of Energy:

America faces a major energy supply crisis over the next two decades. The failure to meet this challenge will threaten our nation's economic prosperity, compromise our national security, and literally alter the way we lead our lives."

Those guys certainly have no reason to make the problem sound worse than it is. In fact they're very likely to make it sound BETTER than it really is.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#916090 04/01/04 10:43 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
baby needs fuel, been holding out hoping for a break..

Fuel (87) is 77.9/l = 2.95/us gal = 3.54/imp gal

of course expressed in CAD $

OUCH

#916091 04/01/04 10:47 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by caltour:
I agree that gas prices will probably keep going up. $3 or $4 a gallon could come sooner than we realize, and it would be hugely disruptive. But you know, I'm not too worried about it. We would adapt. We would change our lifestyles a lot. For example, no more gas guzzlers (soccer moms will no longer drive Excursions), lots of diesel cars running on vegetable oil (biodiesel), increased renewable energy production (wind, solar, geothermal, etc.), suburbanites will work closer to home, more walkable shopping areas will be built in the suburbs, more people will work from home, more public transportation. Not altogether such a bad scenario.

Wind powered cars ?? Come on. The social, cultural and infrastructure changes needed to move society to this lifestyle and this type of thinking takes a generation. The oil could be gone by then.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
#916092 04/01/04 10:52 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
The Gas for our cars is the least of our problems, but the one that everyone always focuses on.

"Renewable" or "Alternative" fuel sources can't be used to make our foods, our plastics, our chemicals, or the millions of other things produced with Oil. And many "alternative" fuel sources require significant amounts of energy to create and use.

Quite simply there is nothing that can replace Oil. We'll be able to drive our cars with other products -- too bad we won't be able to build them without huge amounts of oil.

And don't even get me started on a Public Transportation rant.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#916093 04/01/04 11:01 PM
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by MarkO:

Wind powered cars ?? Come on. The social, cultural and infrastructure changes needed to move society to this lifestyle and this type of thinking takes a generation. The oil could be gone by then.

He isn't saying the 'Wind powered cars'. He said biodiesel TDI's for auto's, Wind/Solar/etc for gen. electricity use.

#916094 04/02/04 01:26 AM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
$1.59 for the cheap chit

'04 Cobra Convertable!!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard