Originally posted by bnoon:
1. Explain how you feel that a second gear start *could* have provided better numbers (at the possible sacrifice of parts) but a slight shift in final drive would not provide some of the same effect?

2. If you're spinning through second, and higher gears will stop the spinning sooner, who will get to point B first?

3. SC'ed 2.5L, yes, keep stock gears. SC'ed and NA 3L, no. Low RPM torque wins nothing but bragging rights on the dyno with this chassis because none of it can make it to the ground unless you're doing a higher gear roll on starting at low RPMs. Case in point, SZ02, I dynoed 45 more FWTQ than Worldtour's SC'ed 2.5L up through about 5,000 RPM. Later, he took off in front of me from a stop... after first gear stopped spinning for both of us, he was gone!!! Lot of good that torque did me.

1. Simply put it would completely eliminate the 1-2 shift during massive wheel hop/spin. On average this shift alone was costing me up to .5 seconds. Sometimes well over a second
5% less TMF would have made zero difference here. Heck maybe more wheel hop even since spin would be harder to generate. (I'd rather have spin then hop)

Also when comparing the TMF gearing in 2nd (2.14) & 4.06's to 1st (3.42) & 3.84 it is not even close.

2nd gear with the 4.06's has ~40% less TMF. That is a lot less then the ~5% decrease of 1st & 3.84's when comparing it to 1st and 4.06's.

What I am saying is 5% less TMF mean little to nothing in first gear and 5% less TMF in 2-5 means slightly slower acceleration comparatively without the tremendous power to support the longer duration powerband. (Like a turbo or even the S/C on the highway)

2. Spin is not a tremendous problem in 2nd gear. It can be handled just by good driving ability. I'd rather have that or learn that then take away 5% from every gear because I can't/won't do either.

3. That's odd & the opposite of how I feel since I really feel my car makes incredible mid range TQ and that's why my times were so good. 2nd & 3rd gear are down right vicious from any rpm. I do most of my passing from 3-5k since I don't need to wind the engine up into the HP like the 2.5L

Not only that but if I wanted low end TQ (what I consider below 3000rpm) I would have left the IMRC operational. I bet it would make monster TQ "on a dyno" but we both know it's pointless. Heck I didn't even use it on the 2.5L Right...

I know you hated your tires and I can certainly see why! It sounds like you had more traction problems then I do.

For my current setup and fact I designed my car for road racing I know the 4.06's are the best choice for me.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.