Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by bnoon:
Don't tell me you didn't put the Zetec final drive in there...

I'm guessing he didn't since he's bad mouthed it. For what reason I'm not sure. Better times would be had.

I don't see how you can say better times would be had.

My 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear are stronger (more TQ multiplication factor) then with the Zetec gear. Therefore I get quicker acceleration and times.
I left out 1st and 5th as todras aimed this at 1/4 mile times even though I built my car for road racing & of course every gear would be stronger.

Also on a road course the 4.06 gear helps out as well since my TMF at any rpm is higher then with the 3.84 gearing. This is also part of the reason why touring cars often raise the gearing even more like Leo's 4.5 final drive.

Even with all that said we are only talking about a change of around 5% That's it folks.
5% less TMF is not going to make launching any easier really.
Also my last tire size switch (stock 215/50 to meaty 225/50's) was nearly a 5% change by itself or roughly the same as running 215/50's with 3.84's

Yes I think the Zetec final drive can still help but it is not going to make a major difference. For instance the power level of the turbo'd cars are still going to roast the tires with either gear set.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I appreciate the final drive in the upper rpm most. Switching to 4th at 100mph/7.5krpm is really nice.

2004 Evolution VIII cams-exhaust-tune 315whp 12.7@109
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Also on a road course the 4.06 gear helps out as well since my TMF at any rpm is higher then with the 3.84 gearing. This is also part of the reason why touring cars often raise the gearing even more like Leo's 4.5 final drive.

Have you ever seen the peaky power curve of most of those touring cars? No wonder they keep the shorter gearing. 3L = 20% larger engine with a lot braoder power curve. Broad torque curve needs more gear. 5% tire + 5% gear = a pretty good difference. For the cheap $100-$150 for the gears needed on top of setting up the trans with the limited slip already, I'm really surprised you found argument against it. There's also the Euro 1.8L D gearsets available too, though I can't remember their ratio...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
I like my zetec final drive. the change is far from minimal.

Although with a 3L and supercharged (with a host of other mods) there just isn't enough "TQ-to-gear-to-tire" ratio available in 2nd or 3rd, even with the Zetec final drive pushing 245's around.

Hmmmmm

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Hmmmmm

I'm surprised you have just claimed any sort of assocciation... I've been sworn to uphold the ban of information to the CEG regarding any such knowledge of said zzzzz's or cool's, including Hmmmmm's huh's and humprgh's. That is all.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
And where did this take place? He's never been to SZ.

Never said he was... SCCA Event at Arrowhead Statium in Kansas City, MO.... Need a Date too?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by SteedaSVT:

Never said he was... SCCA Event at Arrowhead Statium in Kansas City, MO.... Need a Date too?

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by SVT Doood:
Originally posted by SteedaSVT:

i guess..

D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by SVT Doood:

Consider this.

The 4 year running ESP regional champion driving his new 450/500 @ wheels Lightning on Hoosier racing slicks beat me by less then 1 second. (on a ~40 second course)

I likely would have beaten him by just having tread on my tires. I ran on nearly 30k mile stock KDW's.

No other SVT of any kind was close to my times. (closest Cobra was 3 seconds slower)

Take it that I'm a great driver and/or my car (nearly 2 years ago even) made great overall power. Either one is a feather in my cap.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I'm really surprised you found argument against it.

With my setup right now the 4.06 is definitely the better choice of final drives. There is absolutely no question about it.

The 3.84's would not help with launching and it would make every other gear a hair slower.

Also your rpm level after each shift will be lower. That will slow you down as well.

A S/C car could probably go either way. Most likely the 3.84's would be better because it effectively lengthens the powerband & a S/C car is really only great on the highway.
However the same could be said that the 4.06's get you up into boost sooner since the S/C has to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait for it's real boost. (I.E. using gears 1-3 or road racing)
The lower rpm shift drop means less boost after shifting and a hair longer to get back into it "comparatively"
I would think the longer legs (I.E. top end HP) should definitely out weigh that in the top few gears. However not in the lower gears.

A turbo car would benefit the most from it because of the monster flat torque curve. The loss in acceleration from prolonging each gear would likely be outweighed by having a greater TMF longer.
Also since the TQ curve is flat the lower rpm drop after shifting really makes little difference unlike an NA or S/C car.

That's about as nice as I can be about the POS Vorcrap setup.
Remember my whole goal was to spite it's existence.

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard