Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The street tires planted 2.2's like it was nothing thanks to all the TQ but those are 2.2's coming from horrible wheel hop and wheel spin.
Now "I doubt the platform would have handled it" but if I had a little more traction sub 2 60' times were there for the taking.

It's bad when your best launch (2.17) comes from walking the car out at idle then shifting to 2nd. The 330' time slowed in comparisson though.

Haha, now that you some real torque, you get to experience the fun of trying to launch with it. I get the same exact kind violence off the line as you do. I usually launch around 3500-4000rpms and slip the clutch to get rolling and release it as I'm feeding the gas. My goal is to stay above 3000rpms. My launches always consist of spin and nasty wheelhop thru most of 1st. The wheelhop is usually bad enough to make my exhaust clank the bottom of my car. Depending on the prep of the track, I either bark them hard into 2nd or I get a odd silent spin that feels very much like a clutch slipping (it's not though). Then it's a quick chirp into 3rd. All my lower 2.2 60 foots have had nasty wheelhop. One of these days it's going to munch my tranny or a mount.

We need to stop kidding ourselves and get some DRs.

Dave

black 96 Maxima SE Best ET/MPH: 14.31@99.3mph with a 2.18 60' JDM intake manifold, ECU, intake, y-pipe, muffler
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Demon,

I'm interested to know if you port-matched your LIM to the oval head ports, or did you leave your LIM split-port? If that's the case, what gasket did you use?

*edit* OK, I just read your car's profile & if I'm understanding correctly, you "ovalized" the split ports, yes?

Last edited by vudusvt; 03/23/04 07:23 PM.

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by bnoon:
What kind of rubber are you running now? Stickier tires make all of the difference...

225/50 G-Force KDW

They give good grip for a street tire actually.

I have a set of 225/50 Nittos on a set of E0 rims sitting on a shelf in my garage. As hind sight normally is I now wish I had tried them for my first time out. It's quite possible I could have hit the fastest Contour time ever much less best NA time.
The street tires planted 2.2's like it was nothing thanks to all the TQ but those are 2.2's coming from horrible wheel hop and wheel spin.
Now "I doubt the platform would have handled it" but if I had a little more traction sub 2 60' times were there for the taking.

It's bad when your best launch (2.17) comes from walking the car out at idle then shifting to 2nd. The 330' time slowed in comparisson though.

Well man, get your a$$ out there with those nitto's on and cut some better times.

Got any engine spec numbers? i.e. intake port sizes? Head intake/exhaust port sizes? Valve sizes(If you used different valves). I've been planning something like this for a while. But I've decided to mod up the Cobra. For less than $1000 I've probably added around 100 HP to her. I'll know for sure when I put her on a dyno. For now I'm pretty much finished modding her.

So it's time for the Contour and I want to do a complete 3.0L swap like King Demon, but do a different intake and cams. So any specs you wanna give away, I'm listening.

--Matt

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by mmars:

Got any engine spec numbers? i.e. intake port sizes? Head intake/exhaust port sizes? Valve sizes(If you used different valves). I've been planning something like this for a while. But I've decided to mod up the Cobra. For less than $1000 I've probably added around 100 HP to her. I'll know for sure when I put her on a dyno. For now I'm pretty much finished modding her.

So it's time for the Contour and I want to do a complete 3.0L swap like King Demon, but do a different intake and cams. So any specs you wanna give away, I'm listening.

--Matt

Uhhh...like the ones posted on his site and profile???

"Engine
5/02 3L Engine Block & Heads
Balanced Forged Billet Crankshaft
Sinter-Forged Connecting Rods with Clevite Tri-Metal Bearings
Ported & Polished Oval Port Cylinder Heads with 35mm Intake & 30mm Exhaust Valves
Head Intake Ports: 70mm x 33mm
Head Exhaust Ports: 50mm x 30mm
SVT Camshafts"

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by SVT Doood:
Originally posted by mmars:

--Matt

Uhhh...like the ones posted on his site and profile???

"Engine
5/02 3L Engine Block & Heads
Balanced Forged Billet Crankshaft
Sinter-Forged Connecting Rods with Clevite Tri-Metal Bearings
Ported & Polished Oval Port Cylinder Heads with 35mm Intake & 30mm Exhaust Valves
Head Intake Ports: 70mm x 33mm
Head Exhaust Ports: 50mm x 30mm
SVT Camshafts"

Yeah...like those.

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
sweet man, I didn't even know you were putting in a 3L.

Pardon if i'm wrong, but didn't David Z run a 13.7 as well??

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
actually David Z busted out a 13.7 once too :-)

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Demon,

Any chance you will hand me (being a S/C car) my butt on the track or road course? I'd be up for the challenge if you are.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Demon,

Any chance you will hand me (being a S/C car) my butt on the track or road course? I'd be up for the challenge if you are.

Rick

I smell a Spring Zing shootout. Should be some quick cars there. Who will be crowned drag queen . Sadly not I

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Swazo:
I meant using the SVT cams, didn't Tom use 3L cams? Did Jiako port the heads aswell?

Tom used the oval port cams. He did the bare minimum to match the oval heads the the split LIM.

Jiako used the SVT cams but some type of adapter plate between the heads & LIM.

I ported the head inlets in such I way it helped the fuel spray go to both valves. That was a key design idea I made sure happened. I know how badly the secondary valves get caked over and rob power so keeping fuel run across them will keep them clean.

I also wanted better fuel atomization. It seems it worked just like I had planned since the 2.5L was about impossible to tune below 2500rpm without the secondaries. No matter what I did it always ran very rich under light load and idle.
The 3L is the exact opposite and I am running 24lb injectors. It runs very lean at idle and light load. So much so I had to add 25% more fuel just to balance it out! Now it hovers just above stoich. (I like it a little lean)

Another thing of MAJOR note.
I have not consumed a drop of oil with the 3L and I have over 2500 miles on it. (Running 0W40 Mobil 1)
The extra head drains are certainly doing their job and not letting oil get pulled into the valve cover vents like the 2.5L is notorious for.
Even the PCV separator has not picked up more then an ounce of oil total as well. With the 2.5L it was always getting an ounce a week. Sometimes more if I spent lots of time in the high rpm range!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard