Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#905600 03/21/04 04:52 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
hi all. its been a while since i have posted but i've been too busy working at the machine shop. i have looked and i couldn't find a how to or anything describing how to gut the bank2 precat... do u just gut it from the top thru the inlets or do u go around the bend somehow. i will also be adding a glasspack in place of my resonator.

also will it effect the computer if i don't install mil eliminators. i bought my car at a used dealer auction and after all my work on it (rebuilding it) i found that the CEL has been removed . this does not bother be because i have a Matco DEterminator scan tool. so i always no what is going wrong w/ the car

thanx

96 SE 2.5L MTX for Sale check the classifieds 0-60 in 3.4 now(skidoo formula III 700) 165hp 3cyl i got more done to my sled than u do to your car 12sec all motor H22 stroker 94 accord in progress... looking for 280-300hp outta 2.56 L
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Drill a 1/2 hole right after the 90* elbow on the bottom of the exhaust manifold so youu can get a tool in there to gut the pre-cat. Weld in a patch when you're done. You'll want MIL's for sure.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i just did mine and a friends a few months ago and its not hard at all. like swazo said, cut that 1/2" hole and what i did was i got piece of thick welding rod and bent it and just knocked it around for about an hour to get it all out. i dont know about welding a patch onto that surface but i just got a short bolt that fit the hole, tapped it and locktite and that beatch hasnt moved. oh and make sure to enjoy the sound your sh*t makes when the pipes are off

E0 silver #185 *3L hybrid+lots of mods DYNO(moderate tune): 205 whp/ 190ftlb http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/449801
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Like this?

Before

After

2000 Black SVT Contour He who says Nitrous is cheating just got beat. www.Fast4doors.com
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
yea so things got a little more involved because i am also replacing a leaky manifold gskt on bank 1... yea it sux i would love to do it with out pulling the alternator and the half shaft.... again.

but im doing my best to get'er done.

oh but on a better note when the car gets rolling again i will ahve the use of my 2ndaries back. (cable cut by waterpump pulley)

oh and i dind't buy another one, i took the old one apart, w/out breaking it, and made a custom brace to cover one of the gear shafts where the screw heads had broken off, then i replace the cable w/ a bike brake cable for $5.

can't wait to get back in the car, have power above 5000rpm, and a good sound, w/ no more clogged cat

96 SE 2.5L MTX for Sale check the classifieds 0-60 in 3.4 now(skidoo formula III 700) 165hp 3cyl i got more done to my sled than u do to your car 12sec all motor H22 stroker 94 accord in progress... looking for 280-300hp outta 2.56 L
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
u guys think the ride would be too loud if i gutted all 3 cats and replaced the resonator w/a glasspack?
already have a turbo II muffler so that and the 'pack would be the only things quieting the exhaust down.

also im trying to hollow out the ypipe at the collector anyone have any ideas?
i have access to a welder, cutting torch, plasma cutter, and a porting tool for the job.

also is it really worth it to do that? the thing looks so cluster funked in there it just can't be good for exhaust flow.

i know i could prbbly do a search but its more fun to ask and get ppl pissed off for posting a topic that has already been covered eleventybillion times

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Are you guys gutting the pre-cats while still installed on the car? I really want to do mine but can't imagine moving the EM's from the car and have heard of the dangers of NOT removing the EMs.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by techme:
Are you guys gutting the pre-cats while still installed on the car? I really want to do mine but can't imagine moving the EM's from the car and have heard of the dangers of NOT removing the EMs.

I gutted mine while still on the car and had no problems. If you get carried away at the top end near the upper O2s, you can knock things up into the exhaust ports. I just measured about where my 02s were and marked the "rammer". When I got to within an inch and a half or so, I slowed down a bit and took it easy.

You might also consider getting a long drill bit. I have an old one, but I didn't use it because I forgot all about it. Haven't taken it out in years.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by SErico96:
u guys think the ride would be too loud if i gutted all 3 cats and replaced the resonator w/a glasspack?
already have a turbo II muffler so that and the 'pack would be the only things quieting the exhaust down.

Yes.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
wow so it can be gutted while the manifolds are still on that is great that will save me a lot of time when it comes time for me to do mine. im not going to do it till my warranty runs out.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard