I'm not sure which USB-Serial adapter you are using, but, in my experience, you need to change the serial port the USB adapter is allowing you to use, to serial port 1-4, whichever one is free.

I had a problem with mine as well, but mine was due to a driver problem. Mine was an IOGEAR GU232A, and the driver from IOGEAR would crash about 5 minutes after I started streaming data. I was able to get a driver from ATEN, the manufacturer, which has worked fine to date.

I also emailed Alex (while I was still having the problems) and he told me to make sure that buffers were increased as well as to make sure the system had more than 64mb of RAM. His tips didn't help me any, as I already had buffers set to max, as well as 512mb of RAM, but this info might help others.

Email reply from Alex Peper
Quote:

Did receive a phone call today with same problem. No other reported USB adpater problems past 5 years. Told customer to increase buffer size as below.
Possible is problem with a I/O gear driver. Also close any ohter programs running.
Current adpater is a Port Authority 2. Requirements state 64MB RAM or higher.

After plug in USB adapter, in windows start-control panel-performance and maintenance-system-hardware-device manager should see a listing Ports (COM & LPT) double click ICON and USB adapter driver should list name and serial port number, right click on for properties and increase buffer size..

2003 Focus SVT, Black w/ European Package 26000 miles (Totalled) 1999 Contour SE Sport, Silver, V6 ATX 140,000 miles and counting