Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Im thinking of purchashing this car. 1996 ford contour, 4 cylinder, 4 door, pale blue, fully loaded. anyone know anything about this type of car. it has 200,000 km's on it.

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
i have a '96, pretty much the same as you, zetec, fully loaded, etc, and i love it. you need to tell us the condition of the car though, and what you're thinking of spending, to give us a better idea though

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Darin:
Im thinking of purchashing this car. 1996 ford contour, 4 cylinder, 4 door, pale blue, fully loaded. anyone know anything about this type of car. it has 200,000 km's on it.

No dont buy it, run from it. Terrible since 47,000 miles whne I got the car and to now 59,000 I have to had to replace...

two thermostats
radiator
rear brake shoes/drums/cylidners/hardware kits/caliper slide pins
both O2 sensors
several lights all over the car
shifter
serpentine belt
windsheild washer sprayer, and also ECT sensor

These car must have major tune ups yearly or else they run like crap.

I wouldnt buy a Contour they are the worst.

S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
<snip>

Why are you still here then?

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Your car is an exception, all I have ever done is basic maintainance and mine runs great

The Zetec is a very reliable motor. Only one question, does it have an automatic and has it had regular flushes?

Last edited by CRZYDRVR; 03/13/04 11:09 PM.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I have a 95 Zetec with just over 140,000 Miles, only problem: Fan dont turn on by itself, and the idle is rough when warm. Other than that, BEST car I have ever owned. Smoothly shifts though all gears (auto), Good acceleration. Maybe the owner is to blame when a contour starts actin up?

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Welcome onboard.

You've come to the right place for info, just browse the Forums and FAQ sections and you'll get a feel for the various potential problems/quirks and high maintenance items.

Extreme negative opinion expressed above is in the minority amongst members here and certainly not supported by listed maintenance items (e.g. lightbulbs, brakes) on an eight year old car. The v6(Duratec) has a few issues (waterpump & pre-cats) but not so the I4(Zetec).

Answer is of course highly dependent on price & current condition.

Note below that I have two, some members have three in their families.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Your car is an exception, all I have ever done is basic maintainance and mine runs great

The Zetec is a very reliable motor. Only one question, does it have an automatic and has it had regular flushes?

It had its first five quart flush at 48,000, and is getting another one soon.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Shaggy:
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
<snip>

Why are you still here then?

I cant sell the thing, I owe $2800 on it and doubt I could that + enough for the down payment of a different car. Plus all the money I sunk into to, it wouldnt be worth selling now.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by horseydug:

Extreme negative opinion expressed above is in the minority amongst members here and certainly not supported by listed maintenance items (e.g. lightbulbs, brakes) on an eight year old car.

Now hold on here. The car got new brakes pads/rotors in front at 41000, the previous owner did that.

Here is what happened with my brakes......

They were squealing for sometime since December, so I finally bought it in to inspect.

The wheel cylinders both had leaks, this meant when you hit the pedal the one side of the cylinder pushed out fluid, the other side pushed the shoe and it hit the drum.

The side of the shoes facing front of car were drenched with brake fluid, the other side facing rear, were worn beyond the backing plate, this destroyed the drums beyond max. diametetr.

All that before 60k.

I was simply telling the guy to run, because that is what I should have done, and if I could do it over I would have. Unfortunely I cant get rid of this nightmare until 2007 at the soonest.

I was simply telling him my opinion, may not be the majority but it is mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard