Originally posted by Beowulf:
Wasn't there a Roman legion that consisted entirely of male couples?

And there was also a Roman emperor rumoured to have had a vagina surgically implanted on him. Your point? You really DON'T want to base the topic of homosexual unions off of the whimsy of the Roman edicts, behavior of the Emperors and try to use it as proof. There is ample evidence of both it's acceptance and persecution in the Roman empire during varying periods of time.

And are you currently an anthropoligist?

A better one than the author of that article and anyone who buys into the notion that it inferrs that marriage really has no "set" base meaning in societies...

Have you made it your lifestime study to understand the daily lives of civilizations and cultures all over the world?

Did the author of that article? Have you?

I will say that a decade and a half of reading about the Romans, Byzantines, Greeks and Minoans from varying perspectives gives me some insight on the topic...

I am sure that the author of the article and the anthropologists that are disagreeing with the President's assertion that marriage is only to be between male and female used the Greeks and Romans as examples (even though the examples might be weak) becuase the average American has heard of the Greeks and Romans by watching Gladiator and The Clash of the Titans.

I'm fully aware there are tribes and groups (especially among Native Americans and African tribes) that held some sort of symbolic and ritualistic meaning/understanding of homosexual relationships.

I'll BET you dollars to dimes those relationships had a CERTAIN word that was different than what was commonly used for a traditional pairing of (1) man and (1) woman.

That's all I'm advocating here; just call it something different than marriage, like just about EVERY other society has that is being pulled in from the past to prop up arguments here.

What's so bad about that?

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe