Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
You were on I-81, right? I'd agree, don't try to plead innocent, but explain that you were trying to break past the heavy nighttime truck traffic. Point to your clean record and acknowledge that you made a mistake in not watching your speedometer more carefully, and that you're willing to attend a driver-education refresher course in exchange for changing the reckless charge to simple speeding.

That's what I'd do.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Although, this is the man that gave me some bull about them using "lasers" instead of radar and that it wouldn't work. What a load of crap that was..

Umm... You do know that they use lasers now, right? And that your chances of detecting one and stopping before the cop catches you are extremely small because the detector only goes off when the cop has already lit you up.

I regularly speed 25+ over, never ever go less than 10 over (except at night where I do my best not to exceed 10 over), and have only received one ticket in 7 years. And I've never had a radar/laser detector either.

Your eyes can usually see further than a detector can detect or a cop can light you up, and you just gotta slow down as you crest a hill (which anyone should be doing anyhow).

Only thing I worry about are cops behind me and undercover cops. And 95% of the time that's nothing that a sticker showing your support of law enforcement, a military dependent ID (expired by now) conspicuously placed in the same holder as your license, and making their job as easy as possible can't handle.

More than once I've gotten out of ticket because I did everything possible to make thier job easy. Pull off the road as much as you possibly can, turn your wheels in towards the shoulder, immediately roll down your window, turn on your interior lights, turn off you car and place your keys on the dash and both hands on the top of the wheel, and do not move to retrieve any documents or you wallet until he/she asks you to. On several occassions I've had officers comment on my thoroughness -- which gives me an opportunity to mention my grandfather and father who both work/ed in law enforcement, which is almost always a ticket out of things (no pun intended).

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by sigma:
Quote:

Although, this is the man that gave me some bull about them using "lasers" instead of radar and that it wouldn't work. What a load of crap that was..

Umm... You do know that they use lasers now, right? And that your chances of detecting one and stopping before the cop catches you are extremely small because the detector only goes off when the cop has already lit you up.

I regularly speed 25+ over, never ever go less than 10 over (except at night where I do my best not to exceed 10 over), and have only received one ticket in 7 years. And I've never had a radar/laser detector either.

Your eyes can usually see further than a detector can detect or a cop can light you up, and you just gotta slow down as you crest a hill (which anyone should be doing anyhow).

Only thing I worry about are cops behind me and undercover cops. And 95% of the time that's nothing that a sticker showing your support of law enforcement, a military dependent ID (expired by now) conspicuously placed in the same holder as your license, and making their job as easy as possible can't handle.

More than once I've gotten out of ticket because I did everything possible to make thier job easy. Pull off the road as much as you possibly can, turn your wheels in towards the shoulder, immediately roll down your window, turn on your interior lights, turn off you car and place your keys on the dash and both hands on the top of the wheel, and do not move to retrieve any documents or you wallet until he/she asks you to. On several occassions I've had officers comment on my thoroughness -- which gives me an opportunity to mention my grandfather and father who both work/ed in law enforcement, which is almost always a ticket out of things (no pun intended).

BRAVO Sigma! Well stated. I follow the same regiment.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Did the cop tell you that was reckless driving? because under 20 mph in the state of virginia is speeding not reckless driving.

Check out the different point assessments. There is no reckless driving listed for going 10-19 mph over limit.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points_assess.asp

Also I have gotten two reckless driving in Virginia and let me tell you just get a lawyer because Virginia does not play. When I went to court I saw 22 people get suspended licenses and 3 people go to jail for reckless driving. They will take out of state licenses two. The judge made that very clear to us. Luckily I had a lawyer who was friends with the court attorney, so I go my violation dropped to a speeding ticket.

Also my lawyer explained to me that Virginia will not give driving school or a PBJ. If convicted expect to get points for some kind of violation.

As fars as points transferring. I live in Maryland and regular speeding violation do not transfer points to Maryland, but the violation does show up on your record. Reckless and DUI however from what I have been told will transfer points from state to state.

2004 Subaru STi Blue - Bone Stock Join My Army - Kings of Chaos http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=7b3r94st
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Did the cop tell you that was reckless driving? because under 20 mph in the state of virginia is speeding not reckless driving.

Well, if you read that page you posted, reckless driving is defined as speeding 20MPH or above the posted limit OR speeding in excess of 80MPH.

For your clicking benefit:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points_6.asp

It's a 6-pointer that stays on for 11 years -- the same level as a DUI, Hit-and-Run, and Vehicular Manslaughter. Not a charge you want to play around with.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Ahh, thanks I missed that. Damn Virginia laws are way to strict.

2004 Subaru STi Blue - Bone Stock Join My Army - Kings of Chaos http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=7b3r94st
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by gearhead98:
to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

In Virginia, radar detectors are illegal.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by sboardi420:
Ahh, thanks I missed that. Damn Virginia laws are way to strict.

Virginia doesn't have an open container law and the seatbelt law isn't primary enforcement.

I'd GLADLY trade the stupid 20+MPH/80MPH reckless driving/radar detectors illegal laws for an open container law and a primary seatbelt enforcement law.

I really wish the Virginia legislative information website kept track of who voted for these moronic laws way back when. I'm thinking "southern democrat" based on when they took effect, but I'd love to be sure.

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by brianl703:
Originally posted by gearhead98:
to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

In Virginia, radar detectors are illegal.

Yeah, what's your point? Speeding is illegal to. So if you're gonna speed, might as well break a few more laws while you're at it....

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
i got a ticket for 29 over. Dont remember specifics, but went to court, blah blah blah, paid between 5 and $600 including lawyer fees. Sucked, but oh well. You get over it.

Hopefully u have a part time job to pay it off, im lucky i did.

98 SVT #1652 of 6535 My SVT "If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on."
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard