S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by skrilla187:
Originally posted by SKWAT:
If I present the case like this:

The time was 9:30 it was completely dark. I was in the left lane, traveling at an unknown speed, passing tractor trailers in the right lane. There were no vehicles immediately in front of me, there were however several vehicles closing up the space behind me. The vehicle directly behind me was a larger vehicle, either a van or SUV. I signaled and turned into the right lane to allow the vehicles that were behind me to pass. I slowed to match the speed of the traffic now in front of me. The vehicle now in front of me was an unmarked Virginia highway patrol car. The officer turned on his lights pulled into the right shoulder, slowed down, and came up behind me. The officer said he clocked me at 84 MPH with his rear facing radar. I do not know the exact speed I was traveling, however I do not believe I was traveling at 84 MPH.

Do you think I can fight it?
Are there lawyers that fight traffic tickets? I don't have alot of money, But if I could get a lawyer to help me fight for a couple hundred dollars or so I would pay it.

Thank-you for all the advice!

They would say night does not matter you should be looking at your speedo. They would think you are a dumbass. Trust me. Been there done that when I was 16.

My case would be that the officer clocked the vehicles behind me in the left lane (radar usually picks up the fastest moving object). When I turned into the right lane I was going the same speed as the cop.

Mystique LS
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
You pretty much have 2 choices.

1. Bend over and take it (and if you ask real nice they might provide a little spit for lube)

2. Fight it. Take a look at http://www.motorists.org/ Get a lawyer (maybe one that is reccomended on that site) Join to get their information ($35 a year) fight it yourself. Just a warning in VA (from what I have heard (depending on the county)) if you are doing stupid things and wasting their time or they think you are trying to weasle out of the ticket on a technicality they might make it even worse that it was(your fine can go up when you show up to court)

VA likes to throw the book at people speeding. Anything more than 20 over the limit or over 80 no matter what the speed limit is an automatic reckless driving ticket.

Ohhh yeah and keep it very slow in VA (sometime I might actualy take my own advice about things).

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
It is for this reason I do not go more than 5 miles over the limit...... no matter what, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket for speeding.
I don't understand why you want to speed, unless it's an emergency. You only get to your destination on average 2 minutes faster. So would you rather get there 2 minutes earlier and risk getting pulled over to face crap like this, or drive no more than 5 over and NOT have to face crap like this??
Going no more than 5 over has ALWAYS worked for me.

Now, I would suggest hiring a traffic lawyer for cheap, let them go and play with the judge for a few minutes. This should help unless you have other violations on your record.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

Or you could just own up to your actions, pay the fine, and move on.

And pay higher insurance for a simple mistake?

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by nOsSvTcOnToUr:
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
Originally posted by SKWAT:
I just got ticketed for driving 84mph on a 65mph highway in Virginia (I-81 near woodstock) in my Mystique. I was not aware that I was going this fast, I got caught in a pack of cars passing trucks. This counts as reckless driving in Virginia and I have to go to court, anyone ever get charged with this in virginia? Can I take driving school to avoid it going on my record? How much is this going to cost? Please avidse me what to do.
thanks

Know any lawyers? Often times you pay them, they go to court and get the ticket reduced to something like a non-moving violation. We do that at my office all the time. I've had it done a couple of times myself (you can only do it very very few times..)

Or you could just own up to your actions, pay the fine, and move on.

wtf you act like you never got a ticket, ppl make mistakes and the man is jsut asking for advice on how to take care of it so i think he is owning up to it. If you don't have any useful advice, keep ur mouth shut, that simple.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TJSwoboda:
Less than twenty over on the interstate and it's reckless driving??? In Illinois we call that "speeding," $75, go well citizen. Start a militia.

More than 80MPH generally or more than 20 over is reckless driving in Virginia.

I used to live in Illinois 15 years ago and I still miss it.

Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
I was ticketed in Mecklenburg County last Memorial Day for 81 in a 65 (pulled over one mile from the NC border - wasn't I the lucky one). So like you, I was facing reckless driving. Anyway, I hired a lawyer ($250) to go to court for me. I didn't have any other tickets or points on my record. He got the ticket reduced to 73MPH, provided I took a defensive driving course and paid the fine for the ticket (which I did). The reason for 73MPH is my insurance (Allstate) gives you one freebie for speeding provided it's not more than 8 MPH over the limit (or something like that).

All in all, it was an incredible hassle, but IIRC, Reckless Driving stays on your record for up to 10 years (and can even affect your rates for life insurance!!), so do whatever you can to fight it.

Jim H 95 Midnight Blue SE (Sold) 98.5 Silver Frost E1 (Sold) '04 G35 6MT Sedan (Sold) '01 Aurora 4.0
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by moxnix:

VA likes to throw the book at people speeding. Anything more than 20 over the limit or over 80 no matter what the speed limit is an automatic reckless driving ticket.

And we've got a RINO in the state legislature who wants to allow red light cameras. That bill, fortunately, failed AGAIN. But never fear, she'll try again next year.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Renee:
It is for this reason I do not go more than 5 miles over the limit...... no matter what, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket for speeding.
I don't understand why you want to speed, unless it's an emergency. You only get to your destination on average 2 minutes faster. So would you rather get there 2 minutes earlier and risk getting pulled over to face crap like this, or drive no more than 5 over and NOT have to face crap like this??
Going no more than 5 over has ALWAYS worked for me.

Now, I would suggest hiring a traffic lawyer for cheap, let them go and play with the judge for a few minutes. This should help unless you have other violations on your record.

I'm not condoning speeding, but, in a fictional situation, if the limit was 55 and I was going 85-100, I guarantee you I will get there faster than 2 minutes had I gone the limit. But, you did say averages.

Ok, I know VA sucks. They will give you a ticket for noise violation if you talk on your celly with the windows down. Sorry, that probably wasn't funny. Tell us what your driving record is like and maybe we can help you from there. I always get a lawyer. I'll gladly pay whatever $$$ as long as there are no insurance points, screw the DMV...

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by FreeProjectPat:

Tell us what your driving record is like and maybe we can help you from there. I always get a lawyer. I'll gladly pay whatever $$$ as long as there are no insurance points, screw the DMV...

I have a perfect driving record other than this.

Mystique LS
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard