Originally posted by fpipes:
PROBLEMS: EXHAUST LEAK(doens't pass inspection), Temp. Guage reads high, but 3 mechanics say it is working perfectly and it is normal for this particular car. Transmission shifts hard (but realy isn't too bad, slam shifts), check engine light comes off and on every other day. i think its the o2 sensors. OH, and the car stalls if i have less a quarter tank of gas or less. What the heck is that?!!?

Sound like its time for some serious maintainance my friend. You might wanna get your radiator flushed out, check those hoses and replace the radiator cap because that seal breaks down over time. Get a transmission drain and fill. I use Valvoline Maxlife Transmission fluid and mine feels better than it did with the fluid from the dealer. How old are your fuel and air filters? You can get your CEL codes at AutoZone. Before you replace your fuel pump you might try using some gas treatment because it sounds to me like you might have some condensation or something in your gas tank. And change your fuel filter if its old. Your fuel pump may or may not be bad....I'd try the cheap fixes first. Also, in the winter I don't let my gas tank get below half full because that allows condensation to buildup. Have you changed your PCV valve? Since you are a delivery driver you gotta follow the severe maintainece schedule because all that stop and go driving is very hard on your car.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97