Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Just submerge the entire contour in the hot tub. That way, you capture all of the heat that is created. You may need a couple of snorkels for air exchange.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
HT,

If you were to do a search you would find a simmilar issue.

Actually, if this real, you may want to call the Car Talk guys on NPR. I heard a caller one time ask them how he could run a 12V current through his whole car so that he could keep his goats from climbing on it. He situation was different than your though, because he drove his car.

I think we all need to see a picture of your setup to help us verfiy that it is indeed real.

By chace, do you have the tire hanging on the fence next to the hottub for a life perserver. Safety first you know.

99 SE V6 Silver Frost 201,592 Miles (Still Running Well)
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by F111D F:
You must NOT live in California? I imagine their pollution laws wouldn't allow this?

Paul

No he doesn't live in California!!!! I'm thinking maybe rural Louisiana......don't let them gaters get in the hot tub!
I would never do anything that degrading to my vehicle.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
It can't be that relaxing sitting in the hot tub with all the power tools running in the background.

I agree, this is one of the most entertaining threads in a while.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
H
HThomas Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Quote:

Unfortunately I can't help on the water temperature issue, but surely you've mated the exhaust to a turbine pump for massaging water circulation.

No, that is considerably more complex than what I have done. In my case, I am just using the standard Duratec water pump to circulate the water (which is heated by the engine) out into the hot tub.

I get the feeling that somehow incorporating a turbo's heat generation capability might be the next step in producing more heat. I will have to contact this guy called Street Flight to get more info. Does anyone have his AOL account number?

Or, I guess I could try looking on the web site Speed Demon (is that speeddemon.com?); they seem to get a lot of play around here, and are never lacking when it comes to offering up something bombastic as unsolicited advice.

The real bummer is that I don't have any turbos to spare for this project. The 351W rebuild and the Econoline done made them all used up; no extras left now. Maybe I should just get a used Vortech s/c, since they seem to have fallen out of favor for street use. I can get around the jackshaft durability problem quite easily since I can mount the compressor on the FEAD side of the engine, as the hood is not needed.

Plus, I just read on How Stuff Works that a turbocharger is really a supercharger, so by some commutative property I think that means a supercharger is also a turbocharger, which means that the advice that some gave to use a turbo can also be satisfied with a supercharger. Right?

Regardless, I really need to get after this problem. A warm tub is really no substitute for a hot tub. There's just nothing like relaxing with some seriously hot bubbles with the Tony Lama's parked up on the old Wolmanized decking . Warm water just doesn't do it.

Any other suggestions?

-Harden Thomas

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
My troll-o-meter is in the red.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by spgoode:
My troll-o-meter is in the red.

Hell yeah!

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by HThomas:

Any other suggestions?

Do you ever see any water heaters in the ditch on the side of the road...?

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Your idea is fascinating, Harden. I love this kind of original thinking and reach-for-the-sky vision, especially when it relies on the Contour powertrain, known by all of us as one of the best ever conceived.

Actually, your story reminded me of the lake in Upper Canada that my family used to visit when I was a kid. There was an old mechanic geezer who used a WWII jeep for power generation on his farm. There were several cottages that tapped off the farm supply, including ours. He used it mostly for irrigation and septic handling. Unfortunately I was too young to recall his exact setup, but I remember the lights dimming frequently in the cottage. Ha ha. Strangly enough, I've always been a tinkerer, and it's possible that I've drawn subliminal inspiration from this guy's jeep setup back in the 50's.

Regarding your specific setup, I think you are on the right track. Heat management is critical for a hot-tub application, so I agree with your concerns. Thermodynamics need not be a roadblock in this case. Some thoughts come to mind.

(1) you should try to extract all the heat from the engine and either plumb it back in ahead of the combustion process or direct it to the hot tub itself. You could use a air-oil intercooler (I once fashioned one myself out of an old room air conditioner) to extract combustion heat out of the exhaust and feed it back into the engine oil. Be careful there to maintain at least 20gpm on your oil pump for adequate flow level, and I would only use a high-grade synthetic or super high mileage Class 8 truck oil to prevent any sludge development in case there is any microfluid transfer within the intercooler.

(2) Second, I would recommend that you augment the alternater drag load as suggested earlier in the thread. Your PTO setup is good, but sounds too variable in it's power consumtion. Though it's possible that a free revving engine will self regulate to a consistent temperature, startup gradients can be a problem when the demand picks back up. Have you thought about setting up a slave-drive double alternator config? Might work for the transient power/voltage spikes from your shop. The other idea might be a wet-brake alternator. They're a bit pricey of course, and not readily available at Autozone, but I have been working on the final design of a do-it-yourself kit that utilizes household 3-phase electric motors, like those found in fans or large microwave ovens, in a custom machined aluminum case filled with ordinary glycol. Yes, I know... pitting is often a concern for glycol-class fluids with aluminum, but I found a coating of ordinary spray paint on the fluid passages usually provides adequate pitting control. I've had good success in bench tests using flat grey Krylon, which also adds a nice titanium look that's so popular these days. A zinc casting might be better for overall microstructure behavior, but the casting shop that does my work is reluctant to deal w/ more exotic zinc material. You can contact me directly at bud_miller_01@yahoo.com and I'll send you details. I think this is a perfect application, Harden.

(3) My final comment is so simple I can't believe nobody else mentioned it. Why don't you just take advantage of secondary heat effects by bubbling the exhaust around the perimeter of the hot tub? Of course you have to keep it away from where you are breathing. I'm thinking you could fashion an annular diffuser with a normal bathroom fan air handler to extract the CO. Might be an ideal way boost engine-to-water heat transfer while also muffling the engine. No flames guys! You've got to extract the fumes, and you'll be fine.

Don't mess around with engine management. I don't know about you, but I don't have an electronical PhD, so it's usually a dead end to dig into that kind of crap! I just stick to my main areas of expertise: thermodyamics, metallurgy, plumbing.
Feel free to email me w/ comments or questions. Again, great topic!

Regards,
Bud Miller

B
B
Wassssup, this be Buzz. I own a 96 Mystique with dubs and a fatty pipe, I also have a lease on a 1999 SVT, but it is runing out next month. I'm into racing that car can drift with the best of 'em.
Believe it or not, I have run into a similar situation, my friend has a 76 Ford F150 Explorer which he used to power a carwash! The heat exchanger he ran was a basic 10 tube, 25 row, water to water exchanger, very efficient. Although all the ideas seem intelligent, your best bet is to thin the mixture.
The fuel management system from fast and furious will work, if you have 10 grand to spare. Personally, I would fab up a new fuel rail, a 2.5mm diameter will fit your application well. It will reducet the flow and starve your engine of gas.
Also, a direct inject nitrous system will work wonders. You'll have to use forged pistons, but I think it is the most practical for your app.
I am working out the bugs now, but I also am trying to add a simple resister to the on board computer it basically will contolr the fuel map to run a more lean mizture, this also works great for drag racing in colder conditions. I can get the wiring diagram if anyone is interested.
Well, I have to get back designing Fords.
Buzz

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard