Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
I think it's siezed because I can't get the engine to turn over, even tho the starter works, and electrical seems fine.
I'm trying to rule out other things that might imitate the symptoms I had because it's difficult to believe any engine would sieze up without symptoms, or apparent cause.
I suppose that I'm just incredulous. This is another car that I have taken excellent care of, and just died. It's getting to where I feel like I'm being force to buy extended warranties on all cars, since maintenance and sacrifice don't do any good.
I had it towed to a mechanic who said he could not get the motor to turn in either direction using a 3-foot breaker bar on the crank pulley. But I really don't trust this mechanic much. I've tried to turn the motor myself, but haven't been able to, although I haven't removed plugs, or loosened the belts yet. I don't have a garage and the weather has not been cooperating with my weekend plans. If the weather cooperates, I'll know for sure about the engine this weekend.

Peter
(Maybe it's time for that '68 Chevelle...)

Pete I really like my '95, but dang I need some help. 1995 CountorSE (Loaded: Currently dead)
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Did the engine just seize up while you were driving it? Was the engine running and suddenly locked up? Or was it running fine when you shut it down, but appeared to be seized up the next time you tried to start it? Any warning lights on (like the oil pressure light) just before it quit?Was the coolant temperature normal at the time? How were you driving the car when it seized up? I'm just curious about what conditions the engine was experiencing when it locked up.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Mark,

The car had been sitting for three days. I had no prior symptoms. I got in and she started right up. No lights on dash. I noticed a very slight miss in the engine, which was unusual becasue this car ran smoothly, but it was about 30 degrees outside and I thought it was nothing. Maybe a sticky baffle.

I drove about 200 feet, the car continued to miss slightly then with only the slightest sound of engine valve clatter, the car shut off while I was moving. I didn't hear anything that sounded bad, and quite frankly I expected it to be electrical. When it happened, of course, I looked down and the oil light was on. But by then, the engine was not running. There was no CEL, and I hadn't had a CEL since I'd had the feul system cleaned a few months ago.

When I stopped the car and tried to start it again, the starter would click once, but not turn. I had my wife try to start the car, and I could tell power was getting to the starter because the starter power cable (a braided wire) was getting hot! I had the car towed.

That's it! I've since pulled the starter and it works fine.

Peter (Now looking for a wrecked Contour with a good V6)

Pete I really like my '95, but dang I need some help. 1995 CountorSE (Loaded: Currently dead)
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Okay, I am going to throw my $0.02 in here. Before doing anything else, clean the battery terminals and through it on a trickle charger overnight. If nothing else, it will give you a good strong battery to work with for a while. I am sure it's weak by now from all the trying.

Next, remove the serpentine belt. I am guessing that the AC compressor is seized. I helped a friend of mine with a 96 Contour, exact same issue, no start, no nothing. Dealer told him the engine was seized and needed to be replaced. And we all know how much those dealers know. Anyway we removed the serpentine belt and it spun free as a bird when we hit the key. If this is the problem, get a non AC belt from Autozone and you're good to go till you can afford a new compressor.

A seized ac compressor will cause a no start, no turnover condition. And if the belt is good and tight, it will not even squeal. I would defiantly look at this before I started lying awake at night wondering why the engine seized.

I speak only from prior experience and claim to know nothing more than what I have seen.

Edited for spelling errors.

Last edited by 95SE5M; 03/09/04 02:20 PM.

Just my $0.02 95 SE V6 2.5L DOHC 5MTX, Post-98 Trunk Lid, Custom Air Intake 240K+ still counting Impregnated Pontiac D.I.C In Dash Pioneer KEH-5500 Crunch 200 AMP 2 15 Cerwin Vega DVC I love my 'tour!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard