actually:

To clarify your wave in a pool theory:

You are assuming that there is only one wave.. created by a ball, or a hand, or what have you..

but because radar is not ONE pulse, but (as an example: the AN/SPS-49 surface search radar works on the band of 850 to 942 MHz

So.. if your theory were to be more accurate, you would need to state that I (the radar detector) would need to be able to identify what created the wave, by COUNTING the waves, and how far apart they are (signal processing, and frequency determination.)

So, yes.. the FCC has set aside certain frequency ranges for RADAR, but if the manufacturer can make the detector MORE selective, then you can be able to further eliminate "false signals" from real ones. (there is a difference in selectivity and sensitivity.. ask about that and I would be glad to provide details on the simple RF radio block diagrams, particularly the RF selectors) for now, suffice to say that selectivity is the ability to "zoom in" on a certain freqency, and sensitivity is the ability to pick up a weaker signal.

most police RADAR work on microwave levels
While there are some radar bands from 1,300 to 1,600 MHz, most microwave applications fall in the range 3,000 to 30,000 MHz (3-30 GHz). X-Band resides at 10.6 GHZ

X Band
Developed during the 1950s and in use since about 1965. X Band ranges between 10.5 and 10.55 GHz (10.525 with a tolerance of 0.025), compared to other bands it has low frequency and high output. This makes it particularly easy to detect, in fact it is possible to detect at up to 4 miles away although it's own useful range is obviously a lot less than this. Unfortunately because intrusion alarms, radio masts, and door openers use a similar signal these can be the cause of a lot of false alarms.

In closing, I would like to reiterate that a more selective radar detector, can, and WILL create less audible "false alarms", because of its ability to more easily single out a SPECIFIC range of frequencies, instead of only being reactive to ANYTHING within a wide range..

Sorry to ramble..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.