Originally posted by 98SVT_LEO:
My advice is don't waste your money on one! I see far too many people that have them and it makes little to no difference. Remember a radar detector only picks up the radio waves sent out by police radar units which are bouncing off other vehicles, which are always the larger and closest target. So in simple terms, the Officer must leave the radar unit on, and almost all police radars have a on/off button, which means your radar detector won't know what is going on until it's too late. And let's not even discuss getting around the laser! Just some friendly advice from someone who knows;-)

There's a reason that people are still willing to pay $400 for a V1 even after all these years. You won't be ticket-proof, but it goes a long way in helping you avoid them. No, it won't detect cruisers that don't have their radar guns on, and that's why speeding alone is risker than a pack. However, it is sensitive enough to pick up other cars that have been radar'ed, and in enough time to make any necessary adjustments to your speed.

I've had my V1 for five years and not coincidentally I've never had a speeding ticket even though I frequently drive at 80 (safely of course).

E0 SVT, lightly modded