Originally posted by Lee K:
Some thoughts:

1. SVT owners are generally "car guys", so after a few years of ownership, they are ready to move onto something different.
2. Horrendous depreciation. My E0 SVT with 95K miles, which I paid full list price for in June 1997, might be worth $5K at best. People who are looking to trade or sell their SVTs are wiser to do it sooner rather than later.
3. Nagging problems. My SVT drove me crazy in the last two years: squeaking suspension, bad wheel bearings, a leaking power steering hose, an antenna that won't retract anymore, water in the trunk, a failed catalytic converter, a head unit that won't load CDs anymore, and tires that wore out at 14K (related to the wheel bearings, I hope). Face it -- SVT contours aren't Hondas. I suppose a number of people just get tired of putting up with the hassles.
4. Technology marches on. The SVT was a bargain in 1997, and a very strong performer. Seven years later, we have Nissan Altimas and Honda Accords with 240 HP, for God's sake! The SVT is a nice car, but it is being upstaged with newer, faster, and more reliable automobiles. See number 1 above.
5. Changing demographics. As Contours age, their original set of owners are now older, presumably making a bit more money, and have moved on to performance/luxury cars such as the Mazda 6s, the Nissan G35, and the Acura TL. That leaves used Contours moving to the "first car" market, like teenagers looking for their first set of wheels. You can see it in the newbies on the CEG boards. Lots of young whippersnappers now.
6. Automotive revolution. The era of the pony car is dead. We now have super-quick Japanese all-wheel drive cars that capture the fancy of today's youth. While The Fast and Furious crowd is a bit removed from your typical Contour enthusiast, the influences are there, and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver

#1-depends on your definition of a car guy is, most would love to tinker around with an aging car that has the tuning aftermarket our cars have achieved. . .

#2-depreciation sucks, but you don't own a car to worry about it losing value, ALL OF THEM DO, some at higher rates than others. . .it's a valid point for people itching to get rid of their CSVT, but if you bought a car, keep it and drive it until it falls apart at the seams. . .

#3-Just replace the parts, yeah you sink in a grand in parts, but you replace them with better quality replacements, and the squeaks and rattles go away (or at least 99% of them do).

#4-Sink more money in to boost it. It makes sense to me, that way you can keep up with the current displacement wars (honestly, 2.5L engine are small compared to the standard 3.5L v6's running around). . .nothing a t3/t4 couldn't help.

#5-Unless i total her, I will never get rid of her. Too much love.

#6-I'll take apart an Sti or an Evo anyday, just need to finish some mods I have planned <insert Mr. Burns evil laugh>

Suneil
98 E0 SVT