Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I have to say I've been enjoying your tranny rebuild. I've never been this deep into a transaxle before, so I'm learning a lot as you go along with your pictorial. If I should ever be unfortunate enough to suffer the misfortune, I'm glad I have this thread & Unisys web site, & Roadrunner for resources.

On behalf of CEG, thanks guys!! < Salute >

Now, carry on!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
yea, I do feel I keep running into this brick wall with the pressure checks! Sheesh. If I didn't perform this test I'd be pulling my hair out!!! I have everything staged ready to be put back together as soon as my pressure check comes out positive. I'll be assemblying the reverse drum tomorrow night. Now the only thing I have left is pressing the tc seal and axle seals into the case. Has anyone got any ideas on these. These seals bow out in the middle so I can't use a flat washer, etc to press these in. I can buy the atec tools but that will probably set me back a 100 dollars or so...Any suggestions would be welcome!!! Anyone know of a good price on the atec seal installer tools!!

Once I have confirmed that the pressure test is fine. I'll attach pictures of final assembly, etc. This has been an experience but in spite of it all, I still have saved big bucks.

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
I installed the reverse drum assembly. I have reassembled the unit. All pressure tests come out fine! I did have to reshim based on the new drums installed. Final endplay is a bit tight, but I figured it is better to have it a bit tight than loose! took apart the valve body, cleaned it again ( I just installed the transgo shift pack) Installed new solonoid pack. Assembled valve body to case and installed cover.

I did have to buy the atec tools for installing the drive axle case seals and the tc case seal. These seals are convex on the outside so it is tough installing them. I probably could have found a large socket on the drive axle seals but in no way could I have found a socket large enough for the TC case seal. I guess once I have everything up and running and everything is confirmed ok, I'll probably sell these....

I did install new vss, tss and shift sensor.

This completes the rebuild. I can post a final cost summary if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by unisys12; 12/11/04 12:34 AM.

B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Oh, Yes I forgot....On to rebuilding my engine 2.5L

Anyone interested in me doing the same picture story with this?

Bob

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I'm looking at little red x's

I would definitely be interested in knowing the total cost, including all tools (my kit was $104.75 if you want to include that). I would like to know what I am getting myself into

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by btrautman:

Bob

By ALL means if you're willing to take the photos while doing the job please do so. What you're doing is a GREAT asset to all of us here on CEG. IMO, you should be commended for going above and beyond! Your descriptions are concise and easy to understand and anyone who is going to do either of these tasks would benefit greatly from your thread. The pictures are beyond great, as a picture is worth a thousand words. It really helps to SEE what you're so eloquently describing in your narratives. Keep up the fantastic work.....
Mike

P.S. You must be one HELL of a mechanic!!

Last edited by gearhead; 03/14/04 12:27 AM.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by gearhead:

Bob

By ALL means if you're willing to take the photos while doing the job please do so. What you're doing is a GREAT asset to all of us here on CEG. IMO, you should be commended for going above and beyond! Your descriptions are concise and easy to understand and anyone who is going to do either of these tasks would benefit greatly from your thread. The pictures are beyond great, as a picture is worth a thousand words. It really helps to SEE what you're so eloquently describing in your narratives. Keep up the fantastic work.....
Mike

P.S. You must be one HELL of a mechanic!!

I agree totally! On all points.

I have wanted to Pin this thread to the top, like the others. But it is getting so cluttered, so I am going to do something about that. Just havent had the time to do it, so I will post for suggestions.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Well thank you for the great comments....I was getting a little worried during this rebuild when I kept having to get this part, this shim, this gear, etc. etc. eventually I got through it! Here is my cost breakdown on the trans rebuild. The only thing that is not here is that I decided tonight to replace my manual shift sensor - heck it is the only sensor I haven't replaced and it does look in bad shape. That will set me back about 40 bucks.

When I rebuilt this atx I wanted it to last another 8 years at least. That is why I replaced all sensor's, soloid pack,etc. I figure with the external oil cooler and external filter I should be able to achieve this. Even with my total cost, I still saved a bundle over taking it to a tranny shop --- besides they would not have probably come close to what I have replaced.

Before I start on the engine, I have been instructed to clean up the garage....I'll probably start on the engine disassembly next weekend.

Here are the costs:

Valve Body Gaskets 16.64
Oil Cooler 37.22
Master Kit 135
Solenoid Assembly 128.8
Band 14.5
Bushing Kit 35.51
NEW Oil Pump Assembly 190
ATX Oil Filter 30
Bearing Kit 37.51
Driven Needle bearing assembly 16.92
Misc Shims 19.3
Speed Sensor 40.73
Speed Sensor Gear 6.01
Speed Gear Planet 5.15
2 Oil line fittings on atx 24.44
Misc 37
Clutch Piston Seal Sizer 124.91
TSS 30.29
New Direct Drum Housing 90.09
Snap Ring - Expensive 14.59
Forward Return Spring 12.89
Direct Steel Thick 3.09
Lubes, etc. 15
Rebuilt Reverse Drum 38
Axle Seal 2.89
Axle Seal Installer 33.48
TransGo Shift Kit 38
Torque Seal Installer 57
Dextron III Case 18.59
Freight Return Tool Kit 15
CD4E Tool Loan 100
Sub Total $1368.55
Sell Clutch Seal Sizer -80
Deposit Return Tool Kit -80
Sell Axle Seal Installer -20
Sell TC Seal Installer -37
Total $1151.55

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
When I rebuilt this atx I wanted it to last another 8 years at least. That is why I replaced all sensor's, soloid pack,etc. I figure with the external oil cooler and external filter I should be able to achieve this. Even with my total cost, I still saved a bundle over taking it to a tranny shop --- besides they would not have probably come close to what I have replaced.

Oh yeah! My list is not even half that size and my bill was well over $2000! Great job so far.

Before I start on the engine, I have been instructed to clean up the garage....I'll probably start on the engine disassembly next weekend.

I was going to say somehthing about those stains on the garage floor. Make the misses happy, then get to work on that engine man!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Getting close to final test of atx and engine. Finished up engine rebuild, is now in car and connecting everything.....

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard