Well for a direct/coast clutch housing from Ford the price was a little over $200. With a local transmission supply house, I was able to purchase an aftermarket housing for $90.00 Apparently with the aftermarket housing, it will work for other years other than 95 - 98 as well as for 4 cylinder engiens, if the thick steels are used. Standard steels in kit are .078, there is an option to purchase .118 steels if needed. This housing is a bit taller than my old unit, so I will definitely have to recheck endplay and reshim to keep everything straight. Also on my direct cluctch pack, I have a little too much play, if I got to thick steels - 4 of them, I will be out of spec. The other way to adjust clearance is to purchase different thickness snap rings. Standard clearance on endplay for direct clutch pack is .02 to .04 inches. I have something like .05 to .06. Purchasing the thicker snap rings will solve this problem. As I understand it, regardless of whether you have thin or thick steels, the endplay under the snap ring is what counts. The other side of the housing checked out with an endplay of a kinda tight .02 -- I rather have them a bit tight rather than too much endplay!!! The biggest deal in this trans is endplay, endplay, endplay.

Reverse clutch pack endplay check
Direct clutch endplay check
Coast Clutch endplay check
Low/Reverse endplay check
differential planet to housing endplay check - to align it up with the drive sprocket

Differential endplay to TC case
And Drive sprocket to TC housing

Sounds like a lot but it really isn't, just measure carefully and take your time.

My old direct/coast housing did have a big time crack that I found tonight!!!! For an aftermarket cost of $90, it probably is a must item to replace. this housing takes a beating to say the least!!

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!