Originally posted by btrautman:
Well found my first problem on disassembly and cleaning. Forward clutch pack had a broken plastic washer(Washer - Direct Drum/Direct Shell). It was in pieces. ..... wonder what would have caused this washer to fall apart - maybe high temp? What I could see of the washer it did not seem to be worn just broken up in pieces. More and more I'm starting to suspect the oil pump blew out....I'll include pictures soon.....

The early model CD4E's, 94-late 97 to early 98, had the old style filter, which did not have the baypass. Ford found early on, in Europe, the forward/direct clutch packs were burnning up durning extended high rpm operation. They redesigned alot of different things, including forward sprag, direct drum, steel plates and this is also when they switched to Kevlar Composite clutches.

Anyway, it too another company to find that at high rpms, the clutch pack in question is actually starved of fluid. This will of course induce a nice amount of heat and wear.

Hope some of that helps you find out what possible went on.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime