S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by dubkatz:
2-3 hours if everything went smoothly and if Eric shows up when he says he will

Well - since we're counting on things going smoothly then you better double that

I get my new tie rod end today - so at least I have all the peices to put the car back together if I wanted too

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#870509 02/24/04 04:22 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I'm contemplating dropping my subframe with no assistance. Is the subframe over or under say 200 lbs?

According to the directions it "should" be doable.

The plan is to put a 40" 2x4 toward the back of the frame with a jack on each side. Then pull the back subframe mounts, and loosen the front to the bottom of travel. Then I could lower the back a couple few inches and undo the steering lines and what not. Then I could just pull the fronts and ease the frame down.

this is of course if the frame is of a manageable weight?

also - where exactly are the p/s lines I have to pull, the manual isn't very specific?

There's no way I'm going to do this if I have to lay underneath a 400 lb subframe jiggling stuff around, I'm impatient not stupid!!!

It's pretty funny - in the steering rack removal instructions it actually tells you to lower the subframe BEFORE trying to get the control arms undone:

"Allow subframe to lower slightly. Disconnect steering pressure and return hoses from steering gear. Remove the nut retaining steering cooler lines to right front of subframe and two bolts retaining cooler lines to rear of subframe. Carefully pry the lower control arms from steering knuckles and steering gear coupler from steering gear. Lower and remove subframe."

So - recipe for a big screw up or a manageable task?

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#870510 02/24/04 06:44 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
never mind the aabove question:

(Damn I like to post alot )

I feel like I'm typing in my diary here:

dear diary, I thought about dropping my subframe today...

Seriously - I went out and looked at things and my original plan was just to prone to a screw up. Jacks and heavy weights that may or may not want to shift around are just a bad idea!

but, like I said I'm impatient.

I took my set of steel ramps and 2 2x4 blocks to construct a solid platform to evenly support the weight of the whole subframe. I still had the one 40" 2x4 accross the center that I used to hold up the frame, I pulled all 4 sub frame bolts and very gently eased it down onto my little platform. Worked perfectly - I have room to reach in and undo the p/s lines, the s-frame is solidly supported, and like I had hoped the ball joints just slid right out of the knuckle. For tonight I rethreaded the front s-frame bolts loosely just to be doubly sure nothing slides around - hey we could have an earhtquake tonight right?

Tomorow I'll undo all the p/s lines and get a neighbor to help lift the s/f of the platform.

My hope is that by renting a real tranny jack I can even get the tranny down during the week, pull the flywheel for a resurface, and our clutch party saturday can be a "simple" reasembly of the poor car.

#870511 02/25/04 06:03 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
No more subframe.

Couple o tricks - don't diconnect the p/s lines from the steering rack. Disconnect the low presure return at the p/s resevoir, and the high presure feed at the p/s pump by the motor mount. Lines feed right down between engine and firewall and saves messing with tough to reach couplings on the rack.

After you lower the frame about 4-5 inches, go into the driver footwell and yank up on the steering column shaft, it's an easy way to seperate the coupling do-dad.

Just need to pull the axles and drop the tranny now.

Damn, things drag on when you do 1-2 hours of work per night.

#870512 02/25/04 06:34 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I just saw your posts now and would have agreed that pulling the sub-frame is totaly do-able with a jsck.
On regards to your tranny. There is no way in hell i would try that by myself. The tranny weight at least 150 pounds. Even if i had a jack i wouldnt do it without someone. I would say get someone to resurface the flywheel, sat. afternoon. I can come over sat. Morning'ish. Eric will come too. We can drop the tranny by noon. Get it resurfaced that day and then sunday we can put it and subframe back in and you can do the rest by yourself.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
#870513 02/25/04 04:11 PM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I can come by whenever you want on Saturday. I think it'll probably be >2pm before we see Eric though

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
#870514 02/27/04 04:08 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by dubkatz:
I just saw your posts now and would have agreed that pulling the sub-frame is totaly do-able with a jsck.
On regards to your tranny. There is no way in hell i would try that by myself. The tranny weight at least 150 pounds. Even if i had a jack i wouldnt do it without someone. I would say get someone to resurface the flywheel, sat. afternoon. I can come over sat. Morning'ish. Eric will come too. We can drop the tranny by noon. Get it resurfaced that day and then sunday we can put it and subframe back in and you can do the rest by yourself.

I haven't heard from Eric - is he for sure going to be able to make it Saturday?

I miss my car , and I'm starting to think 5-700 dollaars just to be done with it is not a bad deal.

#870515 02/27/04 05:01 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
2 more questions:

1) I was messing with it today and can easily remove the passenger side intermediate&half shaft. On the driver side there is NO WAY that the axle is coming out of the tranny - pry bars, slide hammer, rope..., nothing worked. But the axle does come right out of the the wheel hub - it looks like I could just leave the shaft in the tranny and pull it connected like that - what do you think?

2) Next, I was loosening bolts to make saturday easier, I've gotten all the mounts and the tranny bolts broken loose EXCEPT for the one tranny bolt. Its the one right behind the front precat that you can't get to with a socket. On top of that, the last shop COMPLETELY rounded the other side of the bolt. (This is the one and only tranny bolt that is a nut/bolt as opposed to just a bolt into the engine. I'm thinking maybe a flare wrench or a six point box end wrench (if I can find one) - but did you guys have any trouble with any of your tranny bolts? I suppose I could remove the front exhaust manifold to get it with a socket, but I'd really rather not!

#870516 02/27/04 05:39 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I may come over after work tomorrow to look over the situation and see what tools we may need. I will make it saturday but I have to work n the morning. should get done around ten.

Let me know if you will be home tomorrow around 5:30

Eric

Oh yeah, just leave the driver side axle in.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
#870517 02/27/04 04:43 PM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Sweet!

I'll be home anytime tonight after like 5.

I'm going to hit that bolt with the torch for a while tonight and see if I can break it loose with one of those fuel line flare wrenches.

We could always drill it out if we had too...

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard