Next Thread
Print Thread
#859979 02/02/04 12:34 AM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Ok here's my problem. Just about 2 weeks ago I found my tranny mount broke. I don't know how long it was actually broken for but after thinking back it could have been for quite a while. I replaced the bolt and everything seemed fine for the first day. After that I was letting my wife drive the car and she commented that the car was very hard to drive and jerking a lot. I took it out and found the same thing, once you engaged the clutch the car would kind of surge and then finally smooth out. I parked the car for the rest of the week and then drove it to my friends garage today.

While driving to their garage I made a right hand turn from a stop sign. Something in the car bound up and felt like I ran over a couple rocks with the right tire. I made another turn and again same results with the right hand side. I limped the next 3/4 of a mile to the garage with it progressively getting worse but only while turning. Put it up on jack stands and checked the suspension, everything looks great. Started the car with it up on jack stands and let it roll while turning the wheels, still nothing. Finally I put it back on the ground and pulled it out of the garage to test a little more. While backing it out of the driveway another very large pop as something bound up again. This time it seemed like it came from the other side. Got the car going straigt and barely tapped the gas and another pop. Turned the car off and pushed it back to the garage. Problem is definitely getting worse. It did not bind up while rolling the car with the engine turned off. Does this sound like the diff? I thought it could have been a CV joint, but it happened so quickly and if it is it is the worst CV joint I've ever felt. VERY rough when it binds up.

PLEASE HELP!

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
#859980 02/02/04 01:56 AM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
you had a broken mount on the trans???? well you probably have broken motor mounts also.. they do the same thing.... maybe the all broke??? or were in the process of breaking for some time... and normally when you have one break the others are on borrowed time....

#859981 02/02/04 02:51 AM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by dbird:
you had a broken mount on the trans???? well you probably have broken motor mounts also.. they do the same thing.... maybe the all broke??? or were in the process of breaking for some time... and normally when you have one break the others are on borrowed time....

Yes a broken tranny mount, which is a normal problem. The rest of the mounts are all in tact and trust me, this is no engine / tranny mount issue though as you stated I'm sure the others need a little help now. Something much more serious is wrong right now.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
#859982 02/02/04 03:18 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
If I were there, the diff would be the first thing I would point to.

If you really look back at most all stock dif failures - not the point that something happened, but the point the gears finally snap in half - you will find that this happens during a turn. It makes sence because the dif does most of it's work during a turn. There's also tons of stories out there about someone running their car hard or just having some fun one day, then a week or so later they are leaving a stop sign or red light, make a turn and BOOM!!

What has probably happened is a sun gear cracked at some point. When, where or how it cracked? Your guess is as good as mine, but if I had to put money on it, I would have to say that it was at the same time your tranny mount broke or soon after. Then today the gear finally started coming apart on you.

Sorry to hear about it and hope you can get her back up and running again.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#859983 02/02/04 05:13 AM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Yeah, it really is the only thing I think that has an effect while the car is running, turning, and the wheels are rotating. If it were a CV joint it would be more constant I would think. Can't be a wheel bearing because it should also be more consistent and should make noise even in a straight line. In my mind it all points to the diff. Just trying to get some others opinions. Thanks for the sympathy though, I was planning on modding the focus with that money, but that is the way life goes.

#859984 02/02/04 04:35 PM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
ttt

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard