Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I have done this to my 99SVT.

Take note!

Get yourself the audio pin connector from a CD-ROM to Sound card cable. I then plugged in the PATS light and using the guide I connected the wires to the stereo harness.

This is not an easy task, quite frustating actually, with a confined space to work. You will need to remove your stereo in order to get to the wires you need.

Follow the guide and use the connector I mentioned above. I had to split my CDROM audio cable into two pieces as well now that I think about it!

Good luck!

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
I have done this to my 99SVT.

Take note!

Get yourself the audio pin connector from a CD-ROM to Sound card cable. I then plugged in the PATS light and using the guide I connected the wires to the stereo harness.

This is not an easy task, quite frustating actually, with a confined space to work. You will need to remove your stereo in order to get to the wires you need.

Follow the guide and use the connector I mentioned above. I had to split my CDROM audio cable into two pieces as well now that I think about it!

Good luck!

agreed although the how to is wrong. it has the color codes or mirror images of the connections wrong. i used to to figure out the correct connections and then made my own harness w/ the wiring from cat5 cable and computer connectors that my brother had lying around. i glued 2 of them together to made the 6 pin connector that fits perfectly onto the clock. if u need any help or have questions, pm me. this was a [censored] to figure out the wiring but the how to did sorta help.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Funny you should say the CD rom cable... I was looking through my parts bin of old computer stuff and noticed that the cd-rom audio pins were aligned the same as a ribbon cable... they are all a standard size anyway... so I thought that I would dig around for an extra cable or two... I couldn't find any and then just decided not to go that route anyway since I will just get the pins from the dealership or the pigtail and use those pins.

The question that I have now that someone stated that the pinout is not correct in that picture... what goes where then? Is the pinout on the first picture correct? All I care about is the pinout of the clock itself... is that right or not? If not, then what is it?

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
pm me and i'll try to check my clock and the info i worked out. i believe i have the correct pin sequence for the clock back. if i can write something up, i'll post it here.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I pulled the harness for a clock today at the junk yard, as I found a clock amazing enough. I am gonna connect it up this weekend, maybe today or tomorrow, just this weekend sometime. And, I am just gonna go about my business and figure out a way, I can follow. As, the clock has multiple wires: 2xBlack/orange stripe, blue/white strip, orange/no stripe, white/red stripe. I don't understand why it should take so many wires for a clock. damn the 95s have a 2 wire connector for the clock and it does all that the new ones do. I am gonna also install the red blinking light inside the car next the the hour and minute buttons.

So, this isn't going to be that hard now that I read the bottom of the how-to, That should be pretty easy. Gonna go pick up some extra pieces at home depot for the wiring, along with some longer wires, and I should have this bad boy working in no time. only thing is I want my blinking LED and my new clock doesn't seem to work well. Best part, I got it for free. lol

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I just got done putting it all together, that was pretty easy. I pulled a harness from the junk yard when I got the clock. I then ran a wire to the 12v constant, 12v accessory, positive dimmer, passive anti-theft, and then ground. A serial adapter is the best way to go if you haven't got the harness, if you do, its just matching them up then running it down to the stereo. Very simple.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Can you post the pinout since people have questioned that on this post, or is the picture of the back of the clock correct? Does the clock have the red, blinking PATS light in it, or did you have to add it, if you did, where, and do you have a pic? Please post any info you have... I have a 98'5 SE with the PATS light... I am sure it will be cake... I have the 6-pin harness behind my PATS light right now, just need to add the wire pigtails (and pins) to it when I do the install... other than that, is there anything at all that's special about the install? Does the clock have the blinking red light already?

BTW, I spoke with the dealership again and they said that the part is on factory back-order from the warehouse or whatever and that it should be about a week (that was on Friday)... he said that it should be in by Friday. The closest dealership was in Verginia... and we are in MI, so that was kind of out of the question since it would get here about the same time and would end up being real expensive according to the dealership.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Glad to see my CDROM to Audio cable idea is still in use . The clock recontent is well worth the effort .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by WA2FAST:
Can you post the pinout since people have questioned that on this post, or is the picture of the back of the clock correct? Does the clock have the red, blinking PATS light in it, or did you have to add it, if you did, where, and do you have a pic? Please post any info you have... I have a 98'5 SE with the PATS light... I am sure it will be cake... I have the 6-pin harness behind my PATS light right now, just need to add the wire pigtails (and pins) to it when I do the install... other than that, is there anything at all that's special about the install? Does the clock have the blinking red light already?

Well, I pulled the harness from the junk yard, It had 2xBlack/orange stripe, blue/white strip, orange/no stripe, white/red stripe, your wires may or may not be the same.

The orange is 12v Constant, now one of the black/orange stripped wires is ground, connect one at a time to ground, until the clock turns on. Once you figure that out, the other black/orange stripped wire is for PATS, connect it. Now you should have white/red stripe, blue/white stripe. One goes to dimmer positive, and the other is 12v accessory. Connect them both to test which is which. First white wire to 12v accessory, and blue wire with dimmer positive. Now turn the key in the ignition, if it lights up, it worked. If it doesn't light up, either your bulb is dead or you connected it wrong. To find out, try to set the clock, if it doesn't work, switch the wires and try again. It should now work if it didn't already. Finalize the wires with a good strong crimp. Make sure to connect them to the otherside of the factory stereo harness, that way you don't have to worry about cutting them when removing/installing a new deck.

Now if you have no harness, your best bet is to go grab a serial wire that has 9 holes one blocked (doesn't matter if its blocked anyways) now split the wires at the end, if the cord is short, you may need to use something such as CAT5e, which is made for computer networking, CAT3 & CAT5 themselve are made for phones (i might have them mixed up but probably not). The difference is CAT3 is made for phones, Wires are hard not fun to crimp (thats the only thing I had, CAT5e is more expensive, and needed more by me), CAT3 is also 3 twisted pairs of wires. CAT5 is 4 twisted pairs of wires, and still is a hard wire, not fun to crimp. CAT5e, is a softer wire, made to bend easier for the easy office installations for High-Speed Internet. Connect the wires together in any way that makes sense. Myself, I connected, brown wires with white/red stripe, blue wires with blue/white stripe. and green with black/orange stripe (ground). It really wasn't to hard. Next time I take my deck out. I will make sure and take pictures of the wiring (looks messy). Hope this helps.

Remember there are 3-4 different harness's used on our cars.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'd have to look again , but I'm pretty sure there's a post in the ARCHIVES about how I did mine . Gotta search way back , IIRC ... (I think the archives go back that far )

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard