I think you guys are overlooking a more likely possibility on the source of the wiring fiasco. I'm thinking the vendor that supplies the wire decided to use a slightly cheaper wire for their own benefit, rather than what Ford spec'd out for the car.

Seriously, you think Ford decided, "OK, for the Contour & Focus, lets use this cheaper wire, but all our other cars will get properly spec'd wire. Nobody will ever notice."

Considering the cost savings VS the potential liability, a company like Ford would not even consider it - management or otherwise. A small supplier of harnesses or wire vendor for that harness manufacturer might do something like that to churn that extra buck because that savings would have a real impact on their bottom line - new boat for the boss time.

I can just hear the wire salesman now, "Oh, yeah. That wire is the same as the spec calls for, you'll see. It's exactly the same, just a diffent label on the spool. We put that 'LIGHT DUTY ONLY' sticker on it just to keep one of our old computer component clients happy. Don't worry about it."

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.