Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by armace:
Why make a joke? If you know differently, explain yourself like a decent person would. I thought we were all here to help, not make fun of like little children do.

Easy, dude. Don't automatically assume everything is all about you. You'll stress yourself out doing that. I was once a novice too, so I wouldn't make fun of you. I was making fun of the mechanic because of this: Visual inspection of the outside of a pre-cat determines nothing except its got no holes in the casing. Essentially useless because it shows nothing of the condition of the actual material inside. Considering he's a pro that should know better, I found it amusing. That's all, so please relax, you're among friends.

Useful visual inspection of the pre-cat could only be done if he took some of your exhaust system appart. I would think he either would have to check for debris plugging the main cat or pulled the Y-pipe & checked the rear pre-cat only to see if it was coming appart. The front pre-cat material & packing cannot even be seen from either end so visual inspection is not possible unless he cut it open, then welded it back together for you.

My basic point is that your mechanic was perhaps snowing you a bit, unless he actually did take some of your exhaust system appart.

By the way, good to hear you've saved $400. Feels good don't it!! Let us know what issues you have left to deal with on your car because, you're right, we are here to help.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 01/12/04 04:45 PM.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to visually inspect the precats, wouldn't you need to cut open the housing in the exhaust then weld it back together? Armace, I would steer clear of these "mechanics" in the future. John

1998 ContourLX V6 ATX Cats Gutted+MIL Eliminators Grandma gave me the finger
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I am sorry I jumped on you. I have never had the ability to consul others about car trouble. When I called back and questioned the mechanic about the precats, he said he did only look for visual damage. He said sometimes debris puts holes in them. They ran another test and low and behold, no codes. He said they also made the mistake of replacing my battery, and since I did not authorize it, they would leave it on my car at no additional charge............ha, ha, ha..........not like they didn't get their money anyway. But, I got a new battery with an 8 yr warranty. He also told me ALL parts and labor were garanteed for a year. Thanks again you guys, for all of the advice. If I have any other problems, I will consult you first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98' 2.5 v6 Hunter Green Tour I love my car, but she hates me Fun mods from the bone yard intermittent wipers, fogs, leather shift nob, mud flaps, jack, leds, under hood light, trunk latch, what else can i get?
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=10

try looking in the faq for your cel codes.
p1000-obd-11 monitor testing incomplete
po131-upstream heated o2 sensor circuit out of range-bank 1
po171-system too lean-bank no. 1
p1131-lack of upstream heated o2 sensor switch-sensor
sensor indicates lean-bank no.1
p1137-lack of downstream heated o2 sensor switch-
sensor indicates lean-bank no.1
p1152-lack of upstream heated o2 sensor switch-
sensor indicates rich-bank no. 2
p1157-lack of downstream heated o2 sensor switch-
sensor indicates lean-bank no. 2
good luck! where do you live at in ohio? i live in wv and have taken my car to astorg motors in parkersburg,wv which by the way i wouldn't go there unless you absolutely had to.

2006 fusion sel 1998 grand prix gtp(wife) 1993 dodge shadow es(winter beater)
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I live in Westerville, Ohio, but have relatives in Marrietta, close to WV. I took my Tour to Jim Keim Ford in Hilliard, Ohio. Do not reccommend that anyone take their cars to A Stealership, unless you know and trust the people that work there! We can all learn from each other's mistakes. I want to thank my best friend Keith M for tellin' me about this site. I don't even know if he has posted here, but without him I would be lost. He is the reason I bought a Tour. He has 2 himself. He has done amazing things with his 97 se, almost turned it into an SVT. He is even talking about dropping a 3.0 into it. His audio is incredible too. May be I can convince him to put up som pics. Great friend for the past 12 years. Saved me tons of money and helped me out of some bad relationships in those 12 years of frienship.

98' 2.5 v6 Hunter Green Tour I love my car, but she hates me Fun mods from the bone yard intermittent wipers, fogs, leather shift nob, mud flaps, jack, leds, under hood light, trunk latch, what else can i get?
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
COOOOOOL! Enjoy the car!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
R
Tour de Mace:

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 98 Contour LX and it is at the repair shop right now. My best friend owns a shop and has high end computer scanning equipment. (Snap On MODIS) This is the diagnosis on my car right now.

I need 2 oxygen sensors, both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and my fuel filter is pretty nasty as well. I'm also having new dbl platinum plugs and a set of wires thrown on since I'm just over 70K now.

So, realistically, the diagnosis you got wasn't all that bad. As for the IAC issue, you may just have to go with what your mechanic is telling you. I had that replaced this past summer and mine is not having problems right now. Hope that helps to ease your mind on whether or not you're getting railed.

Also don't believe that B.S. about the precats unless they took them off the car and examined them thoroughly, which they didn't.

So in the long run, it's an expensive mess and it looks like many contours are experiencing these issues all at the same time, but look at the bright side... at least you can do some of your own work. I can't do anything except change a tire

However, the good news is that the extended warranty company is going to eat it big time on this one!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard