if this is the case why would you even post here... just take it off and clean it or put a new one on... oh, i get it, maybe if you keep asking for help you will find the answer you want???? what answer do you want??? the mechanic looked at it and saw the EGR.. no one here saw it so how do you expect someone here to do a better job of troubleshooting it than the mechanic who saw it???
If you put a vacuum on the top of the EGr and it pulls a vacuum then that is only telling you that the diaphram does not have a leak.. you pull a vacuum when the engine is running and if it does not run rough or kill then its not working at all.. could be a small piece of carbon holding the EGR stuck or the inside vacuum chamber of the EGR might even be blocked up??? but when the background you have on this the cheapeast solution is to take it out and clean it up....then if you have the same problem then it is not the problem???? if it the code goes away then you know its the EGR... then you replace it, like your sister should have done in the first place....
i never had a 22MM crows foot wrench, but did have some old a/c refrigeration wrenches.... used a 1 1/8 in. open end flare wrench to get to the tube on the EGR... was worried about it breaking, but it was just a little over hand tight, one little bit of force and then it could be removed by hand... boy what a relief...... i looked all over for the 22mm wrench and could not find one at pep boys, autozone, sears, etc.. i knew i could have ordered one from
NAPA or someother supply house, but did not want to spend too much for a wrench that i would never have used again...
hope this helps.