Not true. I operated mine with just my personal facial vac - no problem.

You have the basic proceedure right. If you apply vac, the engine will run rough(er) & possibly stall. That is IF you have an EGR that is operating properly. You should also be able to crimp the hose while the vac is applied & hold the rough(er) idle. This will tell you if the EGR has a leak in the diaphram.

If you EGR passes these tests, then you replace the DPFE. The original is an aluminum box about the size of a Zippo lighter on the block, just below the EGR valve. The newer ones will have a black plastic housing. Each will have an electrical connector, two hoses, and two bolts holding it on the block. A simple repair made tricky because of tight access.

It is my theory that the new DPFE housings are made from recycled water pump impellers.

PLEASE NOTE:

When you replace the DPFE, you will want to perform a TB cleaning. A simple & cheap proceedure - Your wrenches, one small screwdriver, $4 gasket, $3 for TB cleaner (do not use carb cleaner). You MUST be CERTAIN to clean the EGR channels behind the TB gasket (probably stuck to the Upper Intake Manifold).

These clogged channels may be part of what caused the DPFE to fail.

IN FACT, YOU MAY WISH TO CLEAN THE TB PROPERLY FIRST. This may restore EGR flow & raise the DPFE voltage & rid you of your problem - without replacing anything.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 01/10/04 03:25 AM.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.