Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Maybe the sub used a DVC and only one was being used. Although, that would be 100% more power.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by path914:
Sorry to interrupt all the wonderful RCA talk , but can anyone give me a simple answer to my previous question. Thanks

OK. So you want to power front speakers with a bridged 4 channel amp, and power the rear speakers with the HU, right? No sub- yet.

The only reason you would want to use 2 pairs of RCA plugs instead of 2 Y adapters would be to retain the fader control on the HU, which would be pointless in this situation. IIRC a 4 channel amp is 1+2 and 3+4, so run a single pair of RCAs to the amp, use 1 Y on the right and connect to 1+2, use the other Y on the left and connect to 3+4.

However, if you decide to add a sub later and use 1+2 for L/R front speakers(not bridged) and 3+4 bridged for sub, I would add another pair of RCAs because your HU probably has a dedicated sub out. So, I guess to save time and money(if you plan to add a sub), you could run the 4 channel RCA wires you mentioned earlier in the thread from the front and rear outputs on the HU and connect both rights to 1+2 and lefts to 3+4. Does that help?

Originally posted by path914:
All right, my understanding is that I need a 4 channel RCA from the hu to the amp, then a single speaker wire set to each crossover, then two speaker wire sets from each crossover to the tweet and driver. Sound about right?

Right you are, but some crossovers allow each speaker to be amplified separately. Good luck!

'01 Escape XLT V6 on S100 CDT Audio/Ascendant Audio/Rockford/JBL/Knukonceptz setup '00 SE Sport ATX
P
path914 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by 2G Sport:
OK. So you want to power front speakers with a bridged 4 channel amp, and power the rear speakers with the HU, right? No sub- yet.

Yup, front drivers and tweeters off the amp and rear speakers off the HU

However, if you decide to add a sub later and use 1+2 for L/R front speakers(not bridged) and 3+4 bridged for sub, I would add another pair of RCAs because your HU probably has a dedicated sub out. So, I guess to save time and money(if you plan to add a sub), you could run the 4 channel RCA wires you mentioned earlier in the thread from the front and rear outputs on the HU and connect both rights to 1+2 and lefts to 3+4. Does that help?

I have no intention of getting a sub later, so that really isn't an issue. However, my HU does have a dedicated sub out, so if I changed my mind later, I would use that to connect to a seperate sub amp not affecting my other connections in any way.

Right you are, but some crossovers allow each speaker to be amplified separately. Good luck!

This wouldn't apply if I am bridging the amp so that one channel is going to each set of speakers, right?

Thanks for the informative response

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
No, it wouldn't apply in your situation. Good luck. I bet you'll be wanting a small sub soon to compliment your components.

'01 Escape XLT V6 on S100 CDT Audio/Ascendant Audio/Rockford/JBL/Knukonceptz setup '00 SE Sport ATX
P
path914 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
You never know . I'm not really into the ground-shaking bass type of music, but then again six months ago I thought that replacing the door speakers and HU would be plenty, so...

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by contouranado:

this thread is called yet another audio idiot question, but it wasn't. it was actually a good question that deserved a good answer. but what it should be called is another good audio question with an another audio idiot answer. 50% more power???? i don't see how this could be true, maybe if your old cables were duds,like they were not making a tight connection and it was getting like half the signal or something, but i still cant see it making that big of a difference.and if this was the case that dosent mean every cheap set of cables is bad, you just got a faulty set

I don't think you have the slightest clue of how the relation of increase in power to increase audible perception work to call this an idiot answer. If I was to increase the power of a 100w amp to 150w (50% increase) this would translate to a volume 1.75 decibels higher. This is an increase that is almost inaudible to the human ear. Your speaker will sound slightly louder and better. IT WILL NOT SOUND 50% LOUDER. This is what I meant by a 50% more power. If I would have said the sub was 50% louder which is what it seems like you though 50% more power means, this would require a lot more than a 50% increase in power.

1998.5 CSVT
D
D
Originally posted by nando1856:
Originally posted by contouranado:

this thread is called yet another audio idiot question, but it wasn't. it was actually a good question that deserved a good answer. but what it should be called is another good audio question with an another audio idiot answer. 50% more power???? i don't see how this could be true, maybe if your old cables were duds,like they were not making a tight connection and it was getting like half the signal or something, but i still cant see it making that big of a difference.and if this was the case that dosent mean every cheap set of cables is bad, you just got a faulty set

I don't think you have the slightest clue of how the relation of increase in power to increase audible perception work to call this an idiot answer. If I was to increase the power of a 100w amp to 150w (50% increase) this would translate to a volume 1.75 decibels higher. This is an increase that is almost inaudible to the human ear. Your speaker will sound slightly louder and better. IT WILL NOT SOUND 50% LOUDER. This is what I meant by a 50% more power. If I would have said the sub was 50% louder which is what it seems like you though 50% more power means, this would require a lot more than a 50% increase in power.

Your post made it sound like wiring allowed you to extract more power out of your sub's amplifier. This is what humors people. Quality wires are nice to have to resist corroding and look nice, but the sonic benefits of a 2000.00 set of patch cables compared to a 15.00 set from Knukonceptz would be nil.

I will say this for the sake of all members. Get quality wires (quality, no expensive) that have nice terminations for longevity and to save equipment problems. I have seen cheap RCAs tear up the corresponding female plug on many electronics. Do NOT EVER spend anything more on wires because they will NOT change the sound. Especially speaker wires. Buy the proper guage and stop there.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
could you hear the difference between 100-150 watts? maybe/maybe not. but what about 300-450 watts(also 50%)?perhaps. i'm not going to argue that. but your statement was much much more incorrect. you said that different rca's made the sub "feel like it put out 50% more power."
now this is just my opinion but i think that the difference between 300 and 450 watts is much more audible than a different set of wires that do nothing but carry signal to an amp. oh and by the way an amplifier "puts out power" not a subwoofer.

blue 95 se MTX alpine 9805 2 diamond 12" cm3's tuned to 38 hz 4 pioneer 3-ways(POS) jbl bp1200.1 pimpin hoes, like the river flows..... constantly!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard