Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#807320 11/29/03 06:05 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Agreed, snow tires are not a necesity, but for someone that has never driven in this stuff (my assumption), they make a world of difference. Front wheel drive already makes life easier (just try rear wheel one snowy night, and you'll know what I mean), and the snow tires are added protection.

I too have spent many winters without snow tires, but I too grew up driving on unplowed roads in the Northeast, so I've had alot of experience.

Also, if you're planning on buying snow tires, it makes sense to mount them to a set of steel wheels. It will pay for itself in a couple of years, and prevents remounting and balancing of your other tires.

Additionally, the snow shovel suggestion was more for street parking. Many a night this past winter I would be digging out a parking spot for the evening, especially along the Fenway. If you have parking readily available, you probably don't need the shovel. But the ice scraper is a must!!!

Let us know if you've got any additional questions. We're always glad to help.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
#807321 11/29/03 11:12 PM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Oh yeah, I skimmed through the posts, and it didn't look like anyone mentioned it. Wax, wax, wax. Put as many coats on now as you can, because last winter we had about 45 days straight where water couldn't flow, and thus we couldn't wash all the road salt off. I'm sure we all know how good salt is for paint.

'98 T-Red SVT #4290
#807322 11/30/03 07:44 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
The winterize topic has been covered, so I'll help with the x-country drive part. I've done this trip a few times so hopefully I can help. First things first:

IT'S A LONG [censored] DRIVE.

Now that we've cleared that up, where in California are you coming from? Assuming you'll take I-80/90 across you'll be going through Ohio which is the most laser-happy state i've ever seen. I got hit 9 times once going through! Do yourself a favor and go to valentine1.com and buy yourself one. It's $399 so its expensive, but well worth it. Mine has paid for itself hundreds of times already

You really should have someone go with you, and make an adventure out of it. Take 4-5 days and make stops to see new things. It will make the trip alot more enjoyable and memorable. Not to mention if you hit bad weather, do not be afraid to stop! There are some treacherous roads through those mountains, you'll see lots of crosses on the side of the road so just be careful.

Anything else, just let me know. Where you going to school anyways? I go to Bentley College

#807323 11/30/03 08:13 PM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by Jonny V:
Where you going to school anyways? I go to Bentley College

silly, he mentioned he's going to Northeastern.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
#807324 11/30/03 09:03 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J

#807325 11/30/03 09:39 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Since I live in Sacramento I planned to take 1-5 south towards LA and las vegas so I dont have to go through the rocky mountains.
Ive already asked like 10 people to go with me cause I'd rather not spend a week driving by myself, you never know what can happen on the road, but none of them can go. So unless I find someone back home who will be willing to drive with me and then fly back It looks like im making the trip alone. I do plan to stop along the way, Grand Canyon, 4 corners, etc.
If there is anything you guys can suggest Ill try to make a map on Mapquest with all the coordinates in there. I was thinking it will take 5 days of 8 hours a day, so I planned to leave 8 days before classes start just in case of bad weather, or if I pick up some hot young hitchhiker
We'll see what happends.

Black '98 SVT Contour Clear headlights Door ding guards removed 15% tint all around 5 in. LCD and DVD player K&N Intake When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. When toast is dropped, it always lands butter-side-down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the cat's feet, butter facing up. The two will hover, spinning, inches above the ground. With a giant buttered-toast/cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
#807326 12/01/03 06:59 AM
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
I think you've just proved the point about having 4 snow tires at all the wheels. There was more traction at the front of the car than the back, so you end up fishtailing when there's less traction in the rear.

Anyway, I'm not sure if other people already mentioned it, but in winter driving, the key is no sudden moves and take it slow on the turns. Hope your ABS is in good working condition, I feel mine kick in once in a while when I'm not expecting it. Watch out for black ice, you should roll up to stop signs and lights, not brake at the last minute.

'95 Contour LX V6 ATX
#807327 12/01/03 11:48 AM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
I agree, black ice is the real b!tch you gotta worry about.

#807328 12/01/03 12:51 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Yeah, I went to Northeastern from '96 to '01. I only had the SVT for the last year when I was commuting from NH for night classes! I had 15" steelies with Pirrelli winter tires. Definatley a must considering I had the KDW's on at the time. I noticed you have your door ding guards removed. Fortunatly for me I waited until I was out of school before doing that, but in your case I would be careful where you park. I always found a nice big spot in the Columbus Ave parking garage. They apparently used to have handicapped spots on every floor, but they changed that and they now only have them on the first few floors. On the upper floors there are very large spots, and people fill in from the bottom because they are lazy! Good luck at NU. Make sure to go to some hockey games!! Don't be a stanger! Come to some of our meets!

00 SVT Contour (1584) 04 F-350 XLT Sport V10 02 Honda Spirit 750 64 390 FE Big Block
#807329 12/01/03 01:07 PM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by CobraR:
Make sure to go to some hockey games!!

the Dog Pound RULES!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard