Quote:

1. something in the drivetrain feels like it's "bouncing"...
2. my car has been giving me this trouble for at least a year and recently got much worse...
3. the motormounts seem fine...
4. my car has about 60k miles...
5. makes me think that it's drivetrain problem(s).
etc., etc.

IMHO, I think you have already figured this one out. You have repeatedly mentioned that the problem feels mechanical and that it is in the drivetrain. Are these the original motor mounts? If so, at 60k miles on a MTX they are most likely shot even though they "seem" fine. The mounts slowly give out, not all at once, so it is not as noticable until they get to the totally shot point. This is just as you described in your point #2. Even if they are not, there about due and you would still be WAY ahead of the game replacing them with new SVT mounts with the urethane inserts. Your descriptions of the symptoms are classic motor mount failure.

If you have not replaced your mounts I'll bet your problem goes away when you DO replace them.

Sorry if I appear to be coming off overly cocky/confident on this, but you are describing exactly what I went through with my mounts. Please let us know how you made out on this. We all try to help out here and knowing the resolution to a situation helps expand our collective knowledge base.

Last edited by Stevedrivr; 11/08/03 02:05 PM.

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"