This is an intresting debate but, why? Both cars are cool. Both were built for pretty much the same market, just different times and technology. They are both 4 door, entry level price, performance sedans and even have a similar sticker.

I own and enjoy both my 1999 SVT Contour and my 2004 SRT4. Neither is necessarily overall better then the other. That's why I am keeping both! Cars are for fun, and to some a great hobby. Why does it always have to be a contest?

The SVT is sweet. Great power and rev range, responds well to mild mods, fairly cheap, very smooth, corners like a beast with suspension and tires etc...etc... The Duratec is a sweet engine. It has been proven to make great power NA, or under boost. The only weak links being it's not built for boost (pistons, CR) but can be easily and fairly cheap, and doesn't have the toughest tranny.

The SRT rocks!! Insane power, light weight, awesome torque, bulletproof tranny, Quaife, viper seats, awesome price etc..
The 2.4 L dodge turbo engine is bulletproof! Forged goodies, Split block main, crank scraper, piston oil squirters, coated components, etc... The SRT's are pushing insane power with little mods. If you haven't been in one, you need to!

My SRT for example made 230 FWHP/250 FWTQ STOCK and uncorrected. Very impressive numbers for any 4 cylinder! All with an AF/R of under 10:1!!!
My 2nd dyno with just an AFE filter and stage 1 PCM netted over 240 FWHP and 260 FWTQ. Still on stock boost with an AF/R of under 10:1! The peak gains were ok but 10-20 HP/TQ across the board.
I am heading back this weak hoping to make some nice gains with my new 3" O2 housing, 2 1/2" Upper Pressure Pipe and more boost via a TXS HPBC.

Lets face the facts..both cars are inexpensive sport compacts for us domestic lovers to put the beat down on rice boys! LoL

1999 SVT Contour, 2004 SRT4 & Lots Others... Currently building my 1999 SVT for NASA's TT REAL racers do it twisty!!