Originally posted by BoostJunkie:
Just crusing the net and saw this, felt I had to contribute. Contour SVT vs SRT-4? In a few words, not a fair match up. Why? One chief reason: weight. You guys are frickin' heavy compared to the Neon. Power/Weight ratio plays a huge hand. Two: Turbo vs N/A. I'm sure your motors could put out some good power modded, but the were not designed as hi/po motors. The 2.4L in the SRT-4? Different story. Sport Compact Car did a complete write up of the motor's internals, a very good read which I recommend. Even you guys with turbo added are fighting Ford's engineering or rather, the fact that your motors are not designed for much more than fuel economy and reliability. Nor are your cars factory backed. SRT-4 has new parts from Mopar coming out on nearly a monthly basis, nevermind the aftermarket. The 2004's(which I have) are cutting anywhere from 14.0 to 13.8 STOCK. Nevermind those that have serious mods. So, while it's fun to bench race, let's keep some reality, ok?

IMHO the only two SVT's of any note are the Cobra and Lightning. Anything else is just bodykits and badging.

Not flaming, just pointing some things out.

I would take you seriously but when you say the SVT motor was not designed as a hi-po motor then you are smoking the crack pipe a little to much.
When you figure that the SVT 2.5L was good for 200 HP and the '03 SRT-4 was 2.4L turbo and only good for 228 or even 240 HP or whatever it is now then you really have no leg to stand on.
Did you know that the CSVT motor was the first factory produced engine to have Extrude Honed intake manifolds? I'm surprised that a base model engine uses this technology
Did you know that the 99 CSVT was the first EVER factory car to feature the BFG G-Force T/A KDW tires? It took them 6 months after the 99 models were rolling to release the tire to the public. Didn't I read that the SRT-4 has been coming with BFG's on it now? Hmm.

80HP/liter Naturally Aspirated was enough to put it as on of the "10 Best Engines" awards when it came out and ranked right up there with Acura for efficiency.
Where is the SRT4 motor going? With boost to make up the power.
Its hard to compare the cars accurately but comparing the engines is a different story. The 2.5L duratec is a far better motor, good enough that variants of it are used in Jaguars and the Noble sports car.

Our sorry little motors put out close to 350 horsepower on only 10 pounds of boost....that is only 0.1 Liters more than your engine, less boost and 100 more horespower!
How many pounds of boost is your srt4 motor running?

By the way, the interior quality and styling of the neon are still sup-par when compared with a Focus SVT or a Contour SVT and overall they are a much less refined car.

Enjoy your day, hope I meet you at the track sometime.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black