Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#786359 11/01/03 01:19 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Are glass placks really just as good or better than Magnaflows resontaor? I know glass packs are cheep, like $15, compared to $50-60 for a Magnaflow or Stazi. I want deep loud throaty tone.
Thanks

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I think it's been discused before, but i'm not sure where. you might wanna search for it.

Tony Datsenko
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Also I dont have mufflers, just the resonator and then straight pipe all the way back. From what I've heard the magnaflows dont make too much diff over the stock res. I dunno everybody has mixed opinions about them.

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
You want tone from this engine, you gotta ditch the stock manifolds. Get some headers with a test pipe and I guarantee you'll get all the volume you can stand.

For deeper tone, you'll want to go with larger piping. A single 3" setup will give you some nice bottom end sound and burble.

Just be prepared for cabin drone depending on which y-pipe you use.

dan

00 Black Corvette FRC, headers, ram air, etc. 99 Cougar V6, RIP (was loud) 02 CBR954RR, now with full race exhaust
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
A well made glass pack will flow better and has excellent tone, but it will not last as long. Once the glass blows out or becomes compressed it is about the same as a straight pipe.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I had my stock SVT exhaust with only the resonator replaced with a glasspack on my car for about a year and a half. The tone was perfect in my opinion (almost exactly the same as the Borla I have now, before I gutted the cats), and never hollowed out. The glasspack I had was from Autozone, and was the offset one.

I can't compare it to the magnaflow as far as sound because I have never heard one, but the price was definitely right! I still have my stock exhaust in my garage with the glasspack still attached.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
If you MUST get a glasspack, get one that doesn't have louvers on the inside (little scoops in the inside).

I would recommend a bullet type resonator. It still has glass, but not a crappy as normal glasspacks (cherry bomb)

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
when you pull that resonator off you will see that it's not your typical resonator. it's big, heavy and there is lots of resistance. all i'm running on my svt is stock piping, with no mufflers, and a glass pack where the resonator was. i couldn't tell you for sure what kind of H.P. differance it made. it seemed to help out my top-end, plus it's a very distictive sound that i have yet to hear any other car make in sa diego.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I had the same setup as SVT AJ, and it is throaty, it is deep, and yeah its loud. Tone was great!! Only downside- it was loud inside...duh. My current SVT is stock; I miss the roar, but enjoy the quality of my system without the exhaust noise...go for it!

Last edited by SaV-iT; 11/03/03 10:15 PM.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by SVT_AJ:
i have yet to hear any other car make in sa diego.

thats because there are only 3-4 contours in sd with aftermarker exausts

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard