I just did this last weekend, on my 1998.5 Black SVT. I was worried at first that I would have the "Racing Stripes", but after I de-baged, the car to install my side markers, I was confident that I wouldn't have an over spray problem. I used the same Ideas, from this post/thread, but varried just a little. The first door I used a thicker piece of fishing line to "saw" the sticky tape behind the ding guards, but after a few inches I noticed very light, scratching on the door paint , so I went to a smaller guage fishing line(the smallest I had) I just pulled enough out so I could double it back two or three times for strength. The smaller guage was the ticket, it was thin enough so that when I was sawing back and forth it only rubbed on the ding guard, and not my door (just to make sure I had my son, pull gently on the guard out ward, so I could see all take place)

Once the ding guards were off, I washed the doors off with car washing soap, dried and used a Adhesive removal spray, that I bought at Napa. Let sit for a few seconds, and the remaining adhesive, rolled/rubbed off very easy. I just used my thumb, and rolled the tape in one direction, it was fast.

As for the remaining residue (Wax, sticky stuff) I still used the adhesive remover and gently rubbed almost all of it out. For what was left I used a 3M cleaner wax (Paste) and it all came out

Start to finish 1.5-2 hours, not including waxing the rest of the car.

I was sceptical, at first, but I would recomend removing the badges first to see what your fender looks like under them, if the door ding guard still comes out bad be gentle taking them off so that you can re-apply them if need be.

If you want to see the results check out my cardomain.com link below I just posted the pics yesterday.

JC

1998.5, Black, SVT #5638 of 6535 "Lead, Follow, or get the hell out the way" http://members.cardomain.com/19contour98