Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#780230 10/24/03 03:08 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by ASSVT:
PS2. The graphics on xbox are NOT that much better.

Are you serious?? When playing a game like Madden, you're right, there's not much difference... but if you get a good game written for XBox... watch out. Name one PS2 game that has the graphical detail of Halo. Plus, the XBox runs a great deal faster than the PS2, loading games in far less time. (and yes, I do have both). I have the Advanced a/v pack on my xbox to hook it up to our 65" widescreen HDTV... it has component video in and true dolby 5.1... its unreal playing Halo on that thing. Xbox also has the ability to make true 16:9 widescreen or letterbox format, instead of just the standard 4:3.

All that being said... I resent not having GTA3 or Gran Turismo on the xbox, and it has a tendency to freeze on me during some games. (I however have the first xbox ever delivered to our local Wal-Mart so it could just be an early production problem that's solved now). Plus- it sucks having to spend an extra $30 just to watch DVDs on it, something you can do for free on the PS2.

There's my rundown... now pick which titles you like best and pick which features you like best and go from there!

Diesel owns you
#780231 10/24/03 03:11 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by bkent:
From what I've heard the Xbox has much more capability then the PS2 for graphics, and that the game developers haven't taken advantage of it yet...any comments?

as i said above, developers that write for the xbox do, but the most popular games are the sports games like Madden, NBA Live, etc., and first-persons like Max Payne, James Bond, etc. All these games are written across formats, and so they usually just adapt it enough to run on the xbox software and don't really take the time adding console-specific features.

Diesel owns you
#780232 10/24/03 03:13 PM
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Atari 2600...what more could you need?

If I was going to get a console right now I would go with the Xbox. I've played all of them and the graphics are better on the xbox. I think you are right about the game companies not yet harnessing all of the xbox's power. You have to figure the xbox is basically a baby in the console world when compared to Sony and Nintendo yet it still beats them out...it can only get better IMO. The biggest thing I like about the Xbox is speed. No waiting for what seems like ages for the next screen to load. Xbox SCREAMS on loading games, great for an impatient person like me. They are finally starting to put out more and better games for it now as well. Of course this is all based on my opinions and experience from playing them but I wouldn't get anything other than an Xbox...cept maybe that Atari!

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
#780233 10/24/03 03:24 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I'll just add two more things about the x-box. You can save your own music to the harddrive and then use it for the game soundtrack on some games....including the Grand Theft Auto pack that is coming out. Also since it has a hard drive you never have to worry about buying a memory card unless you need to save a game to take to someone else's house or take up all the hard drive with music.

93 ATX SHO SHO Shop Y-pipe SHO Shop Flex-pipe SubFrame Connectors RActive Heat-Sheilded Filter Intrax Springs Bondurant struts
#780234 10/24/03 05:11 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Our household has both PS2 and XBOX. Last christmas my wife and I choose to give our 12yr old a PS2. We choose this one because of a much bigger varity of games. It will play all PS and PS2 games, a really big selection. Then to our surprise our oldest girl gave the whole family the XBOX. I am totally addicted to the Sega GT 2002 game, and Medal of Honor. A friend of mine has Grand Torismo and it is also a wonderfully fun game for PS2. But the XBOX Live beats all of them. The online ability is FANTASTIC. Some games are marketed for both systems though. Buy a copy of GAME FORMER magazine or better yet subscribe, it's inexpesive.

#780235 10/24/03 05:54 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Each system really has a game or two that shine. I mean for the gamecube NOTHING beats Metroid Prime. Its just a fun, addicting, game. The Zelda for the GC comes in a close second though. Add in that it costs $99 and for another 50 bucks you can get the gameboy advanced player and you can play some great old school style games. Even with the player it still comes out 20 bucks cheaper than either system. And it also will look slightly better than ps2 for games that come out on all 3 systems. It doesn't have quite the amount of games the other two systems have but adding the gameboy library at least gives you some options.

93 ATX SHO SHO Shop Y-pipe SHO Shop Flex-pipe SubFrame Connectors RActive Heat-Sheilded Filter Intrax Springs Bondurant struts
#780236 10/24/03 06:04 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I'd buy the Gamecube based solely on my love of all the Miyamoto games. Games like Resident evil, Rebel Strike, etc are just icing on the cake.

You have to buy the system based on your preferences. I personally was not impressed with the XBOX. The ammount of exclusive, good titles is not very much. You have Halo and it's upcoming sequel. I could care less about graphics really. I still play the original Metroid from time to time and the [censored] graphics don't bother me at all.

PS2 would top my list but I will not buy a PS2 for Gran Turismo 4. I bought a real car for $50 instead

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
#780237 10/24/03 06:05 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
GRAPHICS ARE NOT WHAT MATTERS PEOPLE. gameplay matters, story matters, control matters, graphics and sound are just a perk. the duece has better games than the xbox (xbox only has one but soon to be two xbox only games that are really good: halo and halo 2), better controlers, FREE ONLINE PLAY for most games. has anyone played the NFS hot pursuit 2? if xbox is so much more powerfull than why does it suffer from slowdown the duece version does not. But the best system ever made has to be the original nintendo, even though the graphics sucked it had all the best games.

1997 mystique gs ATX (It is no more) i dont care how many stewardesses you've bagged your still a lousy pilot (if you know what show that is from i owe you a cookie) "When there is no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth"
#780238 10/24/03 06:41 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by joethesajin:
GRAPHICS ARE NOT WHAT MATTERS PEOPLE. gameplay matters, story matters, control matters, graphics and sound are just a perk. the duece has better games than the xbox (xbox only has one but soon to be two xbox only games that are really good: halo and halo 2), better controlers, FREE ONLINE PLAY for most games. has anyone played the NFS hot pursuit 2? if xbox is so much more powerfull than why does it suffer from slowdown the duece version does not.

Gameplay and story do matter. Name me one PS2 game that your gameplay completely determines the physical traits and abilities of your character. I can name two for XBOX- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Fable, due next year.

Free online play is great, if you want to deal with cheaters, faulty network code, and inconcistencies all over the place.

Had to pay $30 for the DVD remote? Big whoop, at least most DVD's will work on it. I can't count the number of times DVD's have NOT worked on friends' PS2's. If you decide to buy an XBOX, technically you just bought a DVD player for $30 on top of it... sounds like a good deal to me.

The ONLY reason any XBOX games suffer from slowdown is because they're ported from the PS2. There are certain f/x that the PS2 uses in its own code. The rain in MGS 2, for example. The BOX slows down because of the corners they had to cut to get the game shipped on time. Has everything to do with programming code, nothing to do with hardware. The XBOX is technically far superior to the PS2- it has twice the RAM, twice the processing power, has an actual VIDEO CARD (even the Dreamcast had an 8mb vid card, which is why it's still capable of better graphics than PS2), and has a hard drive built into it. Yes, a decent surround receiver can split the audio, but, it's NOT the same. Trust me. You can put the left and right channels wherever you want, but, nothing beats hearing enemy chatter in front of, next to, and behind you in all their own channels. I had people looking around the apartment for people they thought had walked in, while I played MGS2.

I'm assuming you haven't played many XBOX games, if any, Joe. Let me see- Halo, Project Gotham 1 and 2, Midtown Madness 3, Star Wars: KOTOR, GTA III and Vice City, Ghost Recon (and Island Thunder), Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3, Otogi: Myth of Demons... the list goes on and on.

The best argument is this- any cross-platform game that comes out will be best on XBOX. Assuming the same gameplay and story, the graphics capability makes the game that much more immersive, and that much more... believeable.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
#780239 10/24/03 06:58 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by bishop375:

Had to pay $30 for the DVD remote? Big whoop, at least most DVD's will work on it. I can't count the number of times DVD's have NOT worked on friends' PS2's. If you decide to buy an XBOX, technically you just bought a DVD player for $30 on top of it... sounds like a good deal to me.

thats why my launch day PS2 has NEVER had a problem playing ANY dvd i want it to. and i have played alot of those games on your list. I will give xbox halo, thats a really fun gamme. I love GTA3 and Vice city on my ps2, i love rainbow six 3 and ghost recon on the PC, i was never a fan of the project gotham series( or metroplis street racer). It comes down to personal choice to some degree, i the only way i will ever buy a xbox is if the price is dropped considerably. im fine playing my "inferior" PS2 playing all the games i love, not just buying something that is just flashier and "better".

Last edited by joethesajin; 10/24/03 07:01 PM.

1997 mystique gs ATX (It is no more) i dont care how many stewardesses you've bagged your still a lousy pilot (if you know what show that is from i owe you a cookie) "When there is no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth"
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard