Originally posted by amarv12:
Price: Like $2-3 for a roll of gutter guard at Home Depot

Fastened with: Clear hot glue

Sidenotes: I did it on my post 98 mystique (on my old 99), and the procedure is a little different than contours. First theres 4 screws at the top of the grille when you open the hood--take those out, then to access the 3 allen screws below the grille, you need to carefully and gently bend the grille forward, and use one of those 90 degree bent allen keys (can't remember what size). It takes quite some time as you have very limited space to work with, but eventually you'll get them out. Then slide the grille back; once you get the grille off (for the way i did it) you need to cut out the vertical bars in the grille. Make sure the stubs are cut flush to the frame of the grille, so it looks good. Then all i did was slap some mesh in there slightly biggeer than the opening, and glued it on the grille in the back where you cant see.

*I am on the hunt for some better mesh however, because the gutter guard is kind of flimsy, and wears its shine quickly. Also when i find some new mesh, i'll probably use gel base super glue to make sure its extra tight, or figure something else out.

Also if you do use gutter guard, i would recommend putting a clear coat on it, so it keeps its shine. And if the spots where the stubs were cut flush bother you, then have your grille painted body color--to me, it doesn't stick out too much.

I have some finished pics here

Happy modding

So; this thread got me motivated to actually go look for mesh, so i hit up home depot to look around again. Most of you know already, but i just found out that most home depots dont even sell the rolls of gutter guard anymore--instead they sell these 3' sheets. These sheets are much better than the old stuff i had from the roll, much thicker--higher guage, and just generally sturdier.
So, i re-meshed my grille, and this time i used screws to fasten it, along with hot glue. Also i cleaned the mesh and get a chance to put on some clearcoat early this morning, it looks great.

This picture is a little big, so i'll post a link. In the pic, where i have the red circles you can see that i have put screws, driven from the outer edge to inner; and where the blue circles are is where i later put hot glue. There's more pics in that album too. Sorry about the quality, photobucket resizes pics when they're too big.

So to recap:
Mesh: Higher guage gutter guard 3' sheet

Price: $1.25

I know this is all pretty simple, but i think its nice to outline it for the newcomers that may be scared to just tear stuff apart on their own.

Last edited by SVT ST PETE; 05/05/04 02:19 AM.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=