Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
In the end everyone here wants to see even the smallest mod to the lowliest of tours.

Hell yeah! That's the spirit!

In a sense, the low boost at low RPMs can kinda be a blessing, too. Our cars can't seem to hook up for beans on the 1/4 track even without boost...add a massive turbo and we're talkin' wheel spin.
Another plus to the S/C - at least the power is linear! (at least it looks like it on the dyno's I've seen) No dropping off at high rpms for a S/C car, too!
On that note: I think ?Tom's? idea of a 2 stage boost controller is a great idea.

Three concluding words: roots-type blower

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Oh yeah...

Well I beat a S/C SVT in a drag race so nyah, nyah... (Sorry Sam )

Now the fact it ran past me like a banshee on the top end means nothing I tell you...

I agree that individuality and uniqueness are great. I just very openly and confidently state my opinions. If others did not defend their's then they would not be doing themselves or their ideas any justice.

So it all boils down to the fact that my opinion is always right...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
I just thought I'd chime in here since I have had both the SC and the 3L on a non-SVT set up... Not that my opinion matters as much as Demon's or anything...

The SC'ed 2.5L was enough fun with 212-ish to the wheels when you had enough room to run it up, or enough traction to launch at a higher RPM. I was a little disappointed with it too to tell you the truth. I was still able to walk heavily modded SVT's at SZ'01 though, even though I was pushing the exhaust through a stock single pipe SE set up! I had an SVT TB and gutted pre-cat as my only other mods at the time.

The bearing spun, yada yada yada, I got a 3L. $525 delivered, plus gaskets put me at just under $800 for the swap. Add a leaky exhaust, to large 24# injectors without any tuning (both make you run pig rich), and that put me at 180/180 at the wheels. The 3L, even not running right, was a LOT more fun to drive, let me tell you. From just above idle in second gear it would light up the 235/40/17's and just put you back in the seat like no NA front wheel drive car should be able to. Every CEG'er who came to visit and got a ride giggled like a school girl during the test drive (or was it just Mikey boy??? ). The 3L didn't quite get the Oooooooo and aaaahhhhhh that the 2.5 SC did, but it was more fun where it counted (under your right foot). I never had it dynoed after it was running right, but I would have guessed it around 200/195 at the wheels.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by caholland:
C'mon guys how much did you really spend on yput 3L swaps? Only 1000 dollars,... lets be real!

Well, I bought a 2001 3L longblock for $500 & had the fuel rail & EGR tube modified for about $200. So about $300 under that mark. You tell me. Of course I had the tranny built up too but in all actuality I could have done it for well under $1000.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by caholland:
How did we get here? I was just in aggreance that the S/C is a little weak down low but it still fun to play with. I also agree that just a s/c kit may not be the most original idea but soo what who cares! This post was about the shortcomings of the s/c kit not who has had the most unique or original engine builds. Again I'm not saying anything is wrong with the 3L swap, nor have I claimed to be the foremost authority on it either. I've read many of your post and marvel your knowlegde about the duratech and how to get the most out of it. Thanks for the stimulating conversation.

We are here because I read undertones in your previous post that gave me a different impression than the tone of this post. You know how you meant it, but I have only the writing to go on and what I picked up was that I didn't appreciate the originality of other people for modding.
It seems unimportant now.
I considered the S/C as an option too, even when the turbo results were out. But as I did more and more dyno comparisons and research I finally came to the conclusions I have expressed. If you read previous posts I don't bag on the S/C, it is just the #2 or #3 option for power adders on my list, with 3L mostly #2 and nitrous #4. As I said, no disrespect intended.
Oh well, as someone said we are all working toward the same end goal and that is something I do respect.
Anyway, keep up the good work.

Kinger:
Don't be so dramatic! I've never been out for to get you...at least not yet!

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Full 3L Engine - well built
Ported heads
Upgraded Oil Pan Baffle, screen, pan
Et cetera

Demon SVT: I totally agree, and that's why I chose 3L too.

BTW - what is the "screen" mod? I updated the baffle and added about 0.5L in the torque converter valley but never heard of any screen mods. Is there a known problem?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
The 01+ engines require the updated YL8Z pickup screen (& windage tray)
It has a revised support placement (I.E. not bending your old one and praying it doesn't seat right in the pan causing oil starvation!!!) & the pickup end is slightly modified to better scavenge the pan.

The YL8Z Windage tray is the one updated in 01. It has been discussed before.

Also the 3M4Z oil pan I am talking about is not one that has been discussed here before. (well maybe Procyon hit on the part number once IIRC)

It has the side ribs like the "semi" revised pan (YL8Z) everyone talks about plus 2 new baffles to hold the oil in the sump! It's an 03 part.

There also is a "revised" dipstick too. (02+ for certain, maybe 01???)
Guess what. The full mark is now about 1/4" higher on the stick. Exactly where 6-6.2qts puts it.
Yes everything else is the same about the dipstick and casing so it truly takes more oil to read full.

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

The YL8Z Windage tray is the one updated in 01. It has been discussed before.

Where, exactly? I'd like more info on this too - just tell me where to look!!

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
The bottom end isn't anything special, but after I replaced the hat piece with 3" id tubing the bottom end picked up a bit. It is like a very well breathing 2.5 until 3500 rpms. After that it pulls hard. I will gladly let anyone local drive my car and give a report on here.

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by chknhwk:
Where, exactly? I'd like more info on this too - just tell me where to look!!

HERE

Sorry that was too easy...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard