Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#762675 10/03/03 12:08 AM
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
I would venture to say that common interests contains significant amounts of personal information because many people have been here for a long time. Over time we develop familiarity and even friendships. If not in the real world, certainly on-line. There are regulars here for whom I have an enormous amount of respect; even if I disagree with their views. I enjoy common interests and my frequency of visits there is equal to all other forums combined. There is support when needed, always a fresh perspective and no shortage of people to suggest removing ones head from an anatomically impossible position. Losing CI would be a loss for the site as a whole. It would not keep me away from the CEG, but I would spend less time here.

In addition to personal information, and speaking for myself, the content is varied just as it would be in any group that exists over a length of time. Perhaps you're may be involved in an MBA study group, or some other entity that forms to address one specific topic. What happens after time is growth. It occurs in almost all ongoing groups. For instance, in addition to proving a theory about forecasting relevance in a waning market with unforseen variables, I discuss my car. The weather. Politics. If the group loses this ability, to digress, it becomes less 'fun.'

For me the CEG is about more than CDW information. It has become a fun place to be. I know almost all of what I need to and most of what I want to about my car. I have learned, or at least considered, a great deal more about topics much more significant than my car here.

Perhaps I missed the violations in CI because I am selective in what threads (and the post originators) I'll pass through. Others, I ignore. I am not forced to read or even reply (albiet sometimes I feel compelled).

My point is I think the loss of CI would negatively impact the CEG. All of us can contribute - think about what you post. Review the rules. Don't feed the fire. The onus should not fall on the moderators, but the members. That said, there will always be 10%. The knucklehead, whining, instigating, lying, uneducated, cement for brains, common sense lacking individuals whose sole value to planet earth is the conversion of oxygen to carbon dioxide so that our flora may return the favor. In a sick twist of fate, these people have computers, internet access, and worst of all, our address. I do believe in fate. I also believe in my own ability to adapt and overcome the hand I'm dealt. The CEG membership, collectively, has the ability to not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

Thanks to all for listening to my views. Also, thanks again to Lance for the CEG.

Mark

EDIT: corrected some typos; I like Freakshows concept of warn once and then ban. No second chances.

Last edited by Trapps; 10/03/03 12:18 AM.

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
#762676 10/03/03 12:15 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Very well put Trapps ....

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
#762677 10/03/03 12:27 AM
O
Admin + 1/2
Admin + 1/2
O
Originally posted by MotorCity:
Sheesh. Being that I don't have a Contour anymore I spent quite a bit of time posting in Common Interests as I like the CEG community still.

If that was not there I am not so sure I would have donated money to keep a site going for a car I don't own. Well I probably would have for previous helpful info but I am just illustrating a point.

If you read Lance's post he said it is gone for the rest of the day, not forever. If things don't improve it could get removed permanently, which is the point he was trying to make.

It will be back up tomorrow and hopefully a few people will clue in.

Christy Kinley 95 Contour SE MTX 01 Outback Limited Wagon with all the goodies
#762678 10/03/03 12:40 AM
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Haven't been readin' CI for quite a time now, so I ain't got no idea what happened, but I guess Kremit had to do something with that - like copying my new black carpet and all.

#762679 10/03/03 12:51 AM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Couldn't agree more, Trapps...

CI is a fun area, but had to step in and get people's attention.

The way I've rewritten the rules is definitely the direction of warn once, ban for subsequent violations.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#762680 10/03/03 01:06 AM
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by mavrock:
Originally posted by lithium398:
lol, i accidentally clicked on dyno and drag just by habit, and noticed that i wasnt where i should be. i say you get rid of it for good, save madddd bandwidth.

I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate here, but how exactly will it save 'madddd bandwidth'?? Unless there are signigicantly large pictures all you're downloading is text. And let's face it, how many of us are on dial-ups, and of those who are, who's using anything slower than a 56k? My guess would be almost none. The current size of this thread is around 70K, and it's a full 2 pages...not a very large download at all...it's not like you can read faster than it's loading the page anyway. If you really want to eliminate something that hogs bandwidth, get rid of the Pics and Videos forum.

Also, isn't it possible and even probable that a lot of the BS that was in the Common Interests forums will just find its way to other forums like this one?

Again, I'm just trying to point a different side, not advocate it, I'm not even sure exactly why the CI forum is shut down, it was up when I went to bed last night and this is my first time on since.

I really do enjoy the forums here and hope it doesn't turn into a total waste of Internet space and honestly don't think that it will...there is a lot of good information on here.

Well the madddd bandwidth wasted is from the members that dont post on any place, BUT the CI area. For instance...

Originally posted by MrsFurby72:
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
I think this one is out of hand. I am so tired of "As the Furby turns" and the rest of you forlorn lovers on this site.

Yeah yeah, blame it on me, especially when I haven't posted but 1 thing in the past week. Geesh.

...who has made a recent life accomplishment of not posting in a week.

-and-

Zippy_Zetec
CEG'er

Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: TX

#762681 10/03/03 01:24 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Plz people , Claiming that MrsFurbies posts were acutally bad is pathetic. If you didnt want to friggin read about it , dont click it. There were SOOO many posts about worse topics than hers or Zippys. Zippys post were never greviously off topic either..

#762682 10/03/03 01:35 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
hey you can't stick up for people cause you don't even have a contour. be gone troll!

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero
#762683 10/03/03 01:38 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Speaking of Zippy, where is he? I figured he would have chimed in by now....or has he joined CBM, Citation10, and Str8piped??

Turbocharged trolling around here somewhere. Beat your wife, Potvin, beat your wife! True Blue 06...err...07~LET'S GO RANGERS!!
#762684 10/03/03 01:38 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by BP:
hey you can't stick up for people cause you don't even have a contour. be gone troll!

Actually I do , I just dont feel like giving everyone pictures if they are going to be so mean about everything

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard