Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I see a market for a device you can plug into your car and erase or fake this data...

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
When a child/teenager does something wrong, aren't we the same society that whines and cries "Where were the parents?" and "The parents are at fault - they need to be more involved" etc. etc.?

Do I agree with it? Maybe - depends who has access to the "results".

Do I think it's a good idea in monitoring kids' driving? Yes.

Like my parents always said - you live under our roof, you follow our rules.

RIGHT ON ! You said it. Up here people are saying something must be done after ever fatal road crash. I used to say ' Quit buying your kids turbo Beemers', now the kids will have drive responsibly. Young , single , with a fast car and having to drive responsibly - Damn eh !

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
As a parent that has one on his permit and getting ready to take "the test" I believe this could have pros and cons....Pros you know what the kid has been up to and if they are taking risks they shouldn't.....cons the noise that thing makes may be enough of a distraction to cause a accident. My son has already signed a "contract" with us and knows that alot of people around our little town knows the car he will be driving and he knows the results of any horseplay. He has it in writing!! That also ensures that we can't go over board if something minor happens...the punishment has already been decided upon and will be up held. Other that that you have to have faith in your kids and give a little trust,respect and say alot of prayers that they don't get goaded into something stupid!

95 Teal Se 5 spd,duratech, loaded(except moonroof) no mods.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Seamore:
As a parent that has one on his permit and getting ready to take "the test" I believe this could have pros and cons....Pros you know what the kid has been up to and if they are taking risks they shouldn't.....cons the noise that thing makes may be enough of a distraction to cause a accident. My son has already signed a "contract" with us and knows that alot of people around our little town knows the car he will be driving and he knows the results of any horseplay. He has it in writing!! That also ensures that we can't go over board if something minor happens...the punishment has already been decided upon and will be up held. Other that that you have to have faith in your kids and give a little trust,respect and say alot of prayers that they don't get goaded into something stupid!

Amen,

If you can't trust your kids, you shouldn't put them behind the wheel of a car.

Ditto with this device. I see very little upside. If you are a parent, you are responsible for what your child does. So if he does some boneheaded thing, and you are recording his actions, it just becomes evidence against your kid and you as well.

Heck, merely putting it in the car may be sending the wrong message in SO many ways.

I can see businesses using this, but not to monitor employees as much as to keep track of their rolling stock or a valuable cargo.

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
im 19, and this is how i feel about this:

kids should be allowed to have freedom. heres what my dad did when i was learning to drive:

taught me, in a 1991 taurus wagon, wouldnt let my take my license test when i was eligable, but had to wait till he felt i was ready, good job dad!

when i got my license i had freedom, i could take the car whenever i wanted, drive to school (all the way in the city too!) and do whatever reasonable thing i wanted to.

i was never allowed to stay out past 11 till i turned 18, and i only broke that rule 1 time, my HS football team was at the championship game, down at heinz field, and i went to see it, got home at 1, and i got the car taken off of me for a little while.

when i was 17, 3 days after i got the contour, they let me drive to VA by myself (5hrs) to visit some friends.

now do i speed? yes.

do i drive stupid? no.

ill open it up on an empty stretch of highway, but you wont see me goin 55 in a school zone!

my dad was rough on me at first, but gave me my freedom, and i became a good driver because of that. alot of my friends had it very easy, and are not the best drivers. one had all the freedom you can imagine since the day eh got his license at age 16, and drives like a complete moron, had a wreck, jsut messed his bumper, which never got fixed btw. another friend his parents were way too strict, he drives like an old granny (now hes 17) ive been with him when he was doin 25 in a 35 and refused to go faster.

bottom line, parents should give their children freedom, but still being strict enough like my dad was.

parents should also make a decision if their kid is responsible enough to drive.

my sister isnt, and my dad wont let her drive (she will be 17 this month)

she fights with him all the time about this, its even causing family problems, but he wont let her drive, and IMO its the right choice

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

When a child/teenager does something wrong, aren't we the same society that whines and cries "Where were the parents?" and "The parents are at fault - they need to be more involved" etc. etc.?

Knowing what your kids are up to and knowing where they are going one saturday night are two completely different things. Obviously if your child is constantly out of the house and not telling you where she/he is going, then parents should do something. If the kid just goes out on the weekends then why should the parent know his/her every move? "Under my roof, my rules". Yeah that's a great motto if you want to be the household tyrant and possibly alienate your kids. Any good parent should know that compromises always have to be made.

All I'm sayin is that if you put this in your child's car, there's a good chance that its gonna piss them off. There are plenty of other things you as a parent can do to make sure your kids are out of trouble. Setting up pseudo spy gadgets is stretching it. I speak for myself and all my friends so that's where I'm coming from. Obviously I'm sure there are some teenagers that wouldn't mind.

99 Silver CSVT
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I agree to a point. I don't like to call it compromise, because I don't believe parents should compromise their core principles.

However, parents should gradually give their children more freedom as they earn it. It is still my house my rules, but I hope I have convinced my daughters that as they become more mature and more responsible, the rules change to match their circumstance.

Not changing in a capricious way, but rather to reflect their maturity.

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

RIGHT ON ! You said it. Up here people are saying something must be done after ever fatal road crash. I used to say ' Quit buying your kids turbo Beemers', now the kids will have drive responsibly. Young , single , with a fast car and having to drive responsibly - Damn eh !

They make turbo bimmers?

2004 Evolution VIII cams-exhaust-tune 315whp 12.7@109
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I seriously dont think it ought ot record thier driving behavior but the GPS this isnt a bad idea IMO. I'm 20 but if that thing wasin my car and started makign racket whenever i speed that thing would have a hammer to it pretty fast.... so it would be a waste of money for my part. Why do 35mph if everyone else is doing 55? Doing 35 has more of a chance of cuasing a wreck. So I seriously wouldnt want that thing in my car or anyoneelse's for that matter. This to me is jut about as bad as the entire chip thing in everyone so he government can monitor yoru health, location and so froth!

97 Mystquie GS - I4 ATX died at 168K 94 Pontiac Crap AM SE - 2.3L I4 5spd 2002 Mazda Protege5 - 2.0L ATX
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Stealth... your cool tutorials are down

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard