Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
AMSOIL is the first 100% sythetic oil to receive the API certificate. The reason that no other AMSOIL products or anyother 100% synthetic have this certification is because of the formulation of their long extended drain interval products. I Quote: "As of July 1, 2002, AMSOIL INC. of Superior, Wisconsin, re-formulated its XL-7500 line of synthetic motor oils to meet API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification standards with the use of Synthetic Group III base oils.

AMSOIL??s exclusive additive chemistry and Group III base oil combination provides the quality and protection needed for 7500 mile drain intervals. The new formulation offers motorists improved protection of emissions control systems and extended service life. According to Alan Amatuzio, VP-Manufacturing, ??These API SL/GF-3 oils provide better high temperature deposit control and lower oil consumption than basic petroleum oils.?

Included in the AMSOIL XL-7500 motor oil line up is the 5W-20 viscosity grade, enabling oil change professionals to offer a high quality synthetic that meets the warranty requirements of Ford and Honda, the two current companies recommending this viscosity grade. This oil minimizes friction and provides superior wear protection throughout its extended service life of 7500 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

The new oils also cost less than previous XL-7500 products. The rest of the AMSOIL synthetic motor oil line continues to use PAO based oils in their formulations. XL-7500 is available in a full range of package sizes from quarts to drums in today??s three leading viscosities, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30."

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
And a little more info:
Lubes-n-Greases Automotive Editor David McFall, once with the American Petroleum Institute recently tackled the issue of extended drain intervals in his March column, criticizing the standard 3,000-mile oil change and referring to the American motor oil market as "shackled."

"In Europe the average engine oil drain interval for current gasoline-fueled cars is about 10,000 miles," explains McFall. "In the United States, indicates the Automotive Oil Change Association, the average drain interval followed by most drivers is somewhat less than 5,000 miles??one-half of Europe's.

"Every year in the United States, this too-short drain interval results in the unneeded production of 300 million to 400 million gallons of engine oil; excess consumer expenditures of around $1.5 billion; and tens of millions of unnecessary oil changes."

Not only are these unnecessary oil changes an expense to consumers, explains McFall, but they have an environmental cost as well. "The added environmental cost of having an average 5,000-mile oil drain interval (instead of 10,000 miles, as in Europe) may be nearly 100 million gallons of engine oil being dumped, untreated, into the U.S. environment annually."

McFall's examination of Mobil 1, Shell and AMSOIL demonstrates the differences among companies who are shackled to the current system and one who isn't.

According to an ExxonMobil spokesperson, "Car owners should follow the oil change intervals specified by the manufacturer. We believe it is inappropriate to recommend drain intervals that may conflict with those set forth by the car manufacturer's specifications."

"Here, in a nutshell," says McFall, "is this observer's take on ExxonMobil's and the oil industry's 'owner's manual' position: It is designed solely to increase motor oil sales." He backs it up by mentioning that Mobil 1 SuperSyn motor oil claims to meet European ACEA A5 and B5-02 specifications, two specifications intended to extend oil drain intervals. "If the oil can be used in Europe for extended drain intervals, why doesn't ExxonMobil notify U.S. consumers of that capability?" asks McFall.

Although Shell Oil Products, owner of Pennzoil-Quaker State, has broken through the shackles enough to offer an API unlicensed oil specially formulated for higher mileage engines, they make no mention of a recommended drain interval, preferring instead to avoid the issue and keep consumers in the dark.

McFall marvels at the success of the independent motor oil company that offers drain intervals up to 11 times longer than the standard interval offered by conventional oils, saying, "Purists can sniff that AMSOIL's data isn't derived from a controlled field study, but the sheer mountain of vehicle miles over three decades, and the absence of any confirmed performance, wear or maintenance issues, speaks volumes."

McFall sums up his column by highlighting the true value of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil, stating the cost may be "two to three times higher than most retail conventional oils but if you can securely count on a 15,000- to 25,000-mile drain interval, it's a flat-out bargain, not to mention providing a clear environmental bonus."

So, what is it that allows AMSOIL motor oils to be used for extended drain intervals, while other oils must be changed significantly sooner? First, the synthetic base stocks with which AMSOIL motor oils are formulated are worlds apart in quality compared with conventional base stocks. The synthetic molecules are uniform in size and shape, resisting the vaporization that boils off the smaller molecules of conventional motor oils and leaves behind a thicker, higher viscosity oil that compromises engine protection. AMSOIL motor oils surpass even the most stringent European volatility standards, providing superior protection for extended drain intervals.

Second, AMSOIL spares no expense when it comes to additives, selecting the most robust additive packages on the market. These additives keep AMSOIL motor oils shear stable, resist the degrading effects of varnish and sludge, keep engine components clean and deposit-free and effectively resist rust, corrosion and foaming.

By using only the highest quality synthetic base stocks and additives available, AMSOIL motor oils are capable of extended drain intervals, all while maintaining performance, providing long-term wear protection and fuel economy, keeping engines clean and deposit-free, providing cold weather starts and protecting against rust and corrosion.

To sum it up. AMSOIL has a good product and if you are into saving money with superior oil performance.. go for it.
AMSOIL Store

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by mr_froge:
AMSOIL is the first 100% sythetic oil to receive the API certificate. The reason that no other AMSOIL products or anyother 100% synthetic have this certification is because of the formulation of their long extended drain interval products. I Quote: "As of July 1, 2002, AMSOIL INC. of Superior, Wisconsin, re-formulated its XL-7500 line of synthetic motor oils to meet API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification standards with the use of Synthetic Group III base oils.

AMSOIL??s exclusive additive chemistry and Group III base oil combination provides the quality and protection needed for 7500 mile drain intervals. The new formulation offers motorists improved protection of emissions control systems and extended service life. According to Alan Amatuzio, VP-Manufacturing, ??These API SL/GF-3 oils provide better high temperature deposit control and lower oil consumption than basic petroleum oils.?

Included in the AMSOIL XL-7500 motor oil line up is the 5W-20 viscosity grade, enabling oil change professionals to offer a high quality synthetic that meets the warranty requirements of Ford and Honda, the two current companies recommending this viscosity grade. This oil minimizes friction and provides superior wear protection throughout its extended service life of 7500 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

The new oils also cost less than previous XL-7500 products. The rest of the AMSOIL synthetic motor oil line continues to use PAO based oils in their formulations. XL-7500 is available in a full range of package sizes from quarts to drums in today??s three leading viscosities, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30."

ALL mobil oil is API certified (check the api site for mobil)

-edit, I'll do it for you:-
MOBIL 1 0W-20 SL/CF*
MOBIL 1 0W-30 SL/CF*
MOBIL 1 0W-40 SL/CF*
MOBIL 1 10W-30 SL/CF*
MOBIL 1 15W-50 SL/CF
MOBIL 1 5W-30 SL/CF*

as is every other oil on the shelf in your local store. The ONLY amsoil certification is for the 7500 series oils. BTW did you know that the Group III base is a heavily worked conventional oil - the same stuff that people complain castrol calls synthetic? And the reason that the other "premium" amsoil synthetic brands carry no certification is that they use more phosphorous contining additives than the API spec allows, due to concerns over emmisions / catlyst issues?

And as for
Quote:

"??These API SL/GF-3 oils provide better high temperature deposit control and lower oil consumption than basic petroleum oils.?"

- just about every conventional oil for sale in the US (at like a 1.25/qt) meet this spec now!

The more I read about amsoil the less I like it...

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I just re-read this and it seems a little harsher than I intended - I'm sure amsoil is a very good synthetic oil, as is every other synthetic oil on the market.

What I still can't decide (though I'm swayed toward not) is wheter it is worth the hype / premium price it gets.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
The claims you guys are making for Amsoil are basically the same ones claimed by all the other companies selling synthetic oil.
And yes, Mobil 1 makes a 5W-20 now too!
Amsoil certaily hypes-up their motor oil to promote sales. As stated before, which you guys failed to address, is that Amsoil does not manufacture any othe the oil ingredients. They buy their components from other companies.
Again, if it were so good, then Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes and other would recommend its use in their new cars rather than Mobil 1.
Ditto race teams.

Dan B. 96 SE 2.5 auto
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

So, what is it that allows AMSOIL motor oils to be used for extended drain intervals, while other oils must be changed significantly sooner?

That would be the litigious nature of the US legal system, coupled with AMSOIL's big cahunas.

Many people have been probing the limits of Mobile 1, and so far, nobody's really found it. That's on an oil not formulated for extended drains, but I would think that Mobil 1 would be safe up to at least 10k for most people, based solely on the inherent advantages of synthetic. But again, for legal and liability reasons, Mobile 1 makes no such claims in the US.

As for Amsoil, a 25k mile drain interval is a bargain if you actually drive that far in 6 months. (Oh yeah, the other drain interval.) I'm lucky to drive that far in 60 months. So, basically, I'd be changing my Amsoil just as often as I change my Mobile 1.

I'm not saying it isn't a great product. But, it was designed/optimized for tractor/trailers, not low-mileage daily drivers. Mobile 1 gives me all the synth advantages I need at considerably less cost and hassle.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ScottK:
Originally posted by Drumbo:

As their label indicates, Amsoil 100% synths are not a "blend" -- they're 100% synthetic.

As their label also indicates, they are -- and always have been -- API certified.

Your research seems to have a few holes. Maybe you should redo it.

BTW -- Would you happen to be a former customer of Tommy Chong?

re blend:

by blend I did not mean conventional / syn blend, but an off the shelf syn. base stock with some amsoil specific additives.

re api -

maybe they should tell the api that all there oil is certified???

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0995

" ... but an off the shelf syn. base stock with some amsoil specific additives."

That's all any synlube is ... It's a matter of how you put them together and how much R&D and QC/QA input you have.

But, my bad. What I should have said is, all Amsoil lubes meet or (greatly) exceed API specs. Last time I looked, only one Amsoil engine oil is API certified. Do you really believe the American Petroleum Institute is going to wrap its arms around and give a big hug to a full-line of extended-drain, 100% synth oils? Nice Dreams.

As I've disclaimed soooo many times, I'm not an Amsoil apostle -- I've just been using their synlubes and greases for 16 years and know with absolute certainty they deliver as-claimed. If you don't want to use them, don't. I'll lose no sleep over that.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D

Thanks for the particulars, Rich. As I had to let my Amsoil dealership go 9 years ago when I took a job with AT&T, I haven't kept up with subsequent R&D in fine detail.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by DanB:
The claims you guys are making for Amsoil are basically the same ones claimed by all the other companies selling synthetic oil.
And yes, Mobil 1 makes a 5W-20 now too!
Amsoil certaily hypes-up their motor oil to promote sales. As stated before, which you guys failed to address, is that Amsoil does not manufacture any othe the oil ingredients. They buy their components from other companies.
Again, if it were so good, then Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes and other would recommend its use in their new cars rather than Mobil 1.
Ditto race teams.

Ya think, Dan?

"Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes and other" have entered into a co-branded marketing agreement -- in which performance takes a back-seat to brand-recognition and brand-loyalty.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ScottK:
I just re-read this and it seems a little harsher than I intended - I'm sure amsoil is a very good synthetic oil, as is every other synthetic oil on the market.

What I still can't decide (though I'm swayed toward not) is wheter it is worth the hype / premium price it gets.

I'm sure amsoil is a very good synthetic oil, as is every other synthetic oil on the market

Whatever you do, Scott, don't make the mistake of assuming all synlubes are created equal. They're not. There are some really half-assed, designed-by-committee impostors out there.

For my money, only Amsoil and Mobil 1 have distinguished themselves over the long haul.

Red-Line products are way too pricey and offer nothing better than their better-priced, better competitors. Another line -- called Crystal Purple, or Deep Purple, or Ozzie's Blend, or somesuch -- also has a good rep, I'm told -- but I've never used it ... obviously.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard