Originally posted by Drumbo:
Originally posted by ScottK:
Originally posted by Drumbo:
Originally posted by bullion:
I just changed the oil in my 98' CSVT. I used Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil with a Fram oil filter. About how many miles can I drive before it should be changed again? Thanks

Depends on the synlube.

I've seen this alot, and I'm curious why amsoil is considered the first synthetic oil? Were they just the first to patent it for the general automotive industry?

Mobils synthetic bearing lube came out in the early 60's (putting mobil synthetics 10 years ahead of amsoil???), there big rig diesel syn oil came out in the late 60's and and they've been selling general automotive syn oil since 73. What about amsoil gives them the first to market bragging rights?

Were they just the first to patent it for the general automotive industry?

Yes, they were "just the first". Read and learn ...

Amsoil was founded by Al Amatuzio, a former USAF fighter-jock/pilot/trainer ... whatever.

The point is: While flying for the USAF, Amatuzio got the brilliant idea that the synthetic lubes used by the USAF to keep high-altitude aircraft from seizing-up under extreme cold conditions also could have earth-bound, automotive and other mechanical applications. That was 30 years ago.

He was soooo right. Amsoil, the company he started 30 years ago, has a 15-year jump on the general synlube market -- during which time Amsoil's R&D Dept came up with and patented essentially all the synlube fundamentals that ExxonMobil and a host of other synlube wannabes would now cut off their <insert sacrificial reproductive organ here> to own.

As I've said, as long as Amsoil remains true to their mission, Amsoil lubes are the ONLY lubes my car(s) will see for the foreseeable future. Done. Period. Case closed.

I recognize it may look like I'm trying to bash amsoil - I'm not. I'm just trying to understand how good there company / product is, and so far I haven't seen a lot of proof that there claims are substantiated. I'm also concerned that they use a formula that auto makers claim to be catalyst damaging (hence no api certification) - even if that hasn't been proved out.

I assume it is a good oil, as are all synthetics and even todays non synthetics. I'm just trying to figure out what makes it worth the premium price for a non API certified blend?

As for patents - a quick search of the patent database http://www.uspto.gov/patft/ shows exactly 0 patentss issued to amsoil or Amatuzio since 1975. (Mobil had 700+ patents with the word "oil" in the abstract). I am curious if they really are developing new proprietary oils, why they never patent them?

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT