Originally posted by bullion:
I just changed the oil in my 98' CSVT. I used Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil with a Fram oil filter. About how many miles can I drive before it should be changed again? Thanks

Depends on the synlube.

I've been running Amsoil 100% synth in every car (both turbo and normally-aspirated) I've owned for the past 16 years. Amsoil is rated for extended drain intervals. In the 12 years I had my Merkur XR4Ti (a turbo car with a cast-iron block, cast-iron head and insane underhood temps), I usually dumped the Amsoil after 6000 mi and once went as far as 9000 mi with no adverse affects. In my CSVT, I've been dumping the oil after 15,000 mi. And, judging from the color, consistency and texture of the Amsoil at 15K, I suspect that, by dumping it at 15K, I may be wasting perfectly good oil. Next time, I'm sending it to a lab for analysis.

BACKGROUND: Despite 30 years of API-standard test data that overwhelmingly substantiate Amsoil's first-to-market and first-to-patent primacy across the entire spectrum of synlube/grease apps, most (but not all) of the CEG crew seem to have a collective blind-spot towards Amsoil. Whether this bias is merely due to the culture of the CEG forum or is somehow driven by ExxonMobil shills is way beyond my ability to pinpoint.

Basically, all I need to know is what I've learned from running Amsoil for 16 years: Despite their retro "Mom & Pop" mindset and rinky-dink MLM marketing and distribution channels, when it comes to delivering the goods, Amsoil is, and always has been, the big dog on the synlube porch.