Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#723340 08/22/03 10:21 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by BURNTU2:
Ok now that we've heard from the Lochness Monster, I think you need to stick to your natural enviornment, underwater automobile repair.

OK, I wouldn't have even posted if that is all I could have thought up. Lochness monster? Even making a simple change like calling him the "lochness [censored]" would have been an improvement. Can we say [censored] in here?

edit: I guess not.

Last edited by The Ripper; 08/22/03 10:23 PM.

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
#723341 08/22/03 10:28 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
How on earth can you be surprised about the steep depreciation? You bought the car in January 2002. Were you living in a cave? Didn't you know that Ford had already decided to discontinue the Contour and that it was a lame duck car? Is it not common sense that when a car company pulls the plug on a car because of disappoiting sales, that depreciation for that model will be a serious problem?

People here seem to have little regard for Consumer Reports, but if you had perused a Consumer Reports Used Autombile Guide in January 2002, you would have learned that Contours, especially SVTs are great cars that handle beautifully but that they are not reliable and likely to suffer from severe depreciation in the future. Sounds like they hit the nail on the head. Just what did YOU expect?

#723342 08/22/03 10:55 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:
How on earth can you be surprised about the steep depreciation? You bought the car in January 2002. Were you living in a cave? Didn't you know that Ford had already decided to discontinue the Contour and that it was a lame duck car? Is it not common sense that when a car company pulls the plug on a car because of disappoiting sales, that depreciation for that model will be a serious problem?

People here seem to have little regard for Consumer Reports, but if you had perused a Consumer Reports Used Autombile Guide in January 2002, you would have learned that Contours, especially SVTs are great cars that handle beautifully but that they are not reliable and likely to suffer from severe depreciation in the future. Sounds like they hit the nail on the head. Just what did YOU expect?

Actually, I thought I landed a sweet deal in Jan of 02.
Contour SVT, very limited production, nothing else like it on the road, leather seats, sport tuned suspension, all the bells and whistles, not to mention a nice looking car...a touch of luxury with a sporty attitude...only 29K miles on the car for $12,500...seemed like a hell of a deal to me at the time...
BTW,consumer reports opinions are worth about two cents to me...they are very biased and pro imports.

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
#723343 08/22/03 11:02 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Well, the Consumers Reports opinions might not matter to you, but in this case they were dead-on. Plus, if you choose not to listen to CR, then ANYONE on these boards could've told you that the resale value on these cars sank like a rock before you even bought it. I, for one, couldn't give a squirt of piss about resale value. #1, I could still sell it for more than I owe on it. #2, I love the car to death and don't plan on selling it. Haven't had any major problems yet (just little nagging things here and there that I can live with) and I still enjoy driving it daily.

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from, exactly... You've spent the better part of a month completely trashing anyone who dared say a negative thing about the Contour or Ford in general, and now you're getting a sandy vag because people might post a differing opinion than you have.

2000 SVT Contour -- SOLD! New car coming soon... 1980 Triumph TR7 -- Needs a new home...
#723344 08/22/03 11:07 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
seemed like a hell of a deal to me at the time...

That's just it. It is a hell of a deal. The contour is imo the best deal out there. Even the VW guys have said many times that you cannot get better performance/fun for the dollar than a Contour SVT. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and unfortunately the general public tends to stick with what the magazines and appraisers say. Don't hate your contour because of its value as it has nothing to do with what kbb says. Hate your contour if it is a pos. If you didn't research what these magazines and appraisers said about resale value before you bought, then you must blame yourself.

I for one knew about the bad resale value and bought the car anyway because it outright kicks ass!

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
#723345 08/22/03 11:15 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
BTW,consumer reports opinions are worth about two cents to me...they are very biased and pro imports.

Biased and pro imports??? CR gave rave reviews to the Contour, especially the SVT version. If more peole read and relied upon CR, Ford would probably still be making the Contour today.

CR's only major knocks on the 'tour were poor reliability and steep depreciation. What were your complaints again? Oh yeah, that your car is falling apart and that it had depreciated steeply. Maybe it would be worth 2 of your cents to look at a Consumer Reports before you buy your next car.

Andy by the way, steep depreciation is not a bad always a bad thing. If you want to buy a particular model and know that its value will drastically plummet in the near future, this gives you lots of leverage to negotiate and get a great price. Make the seller pay for the anticipated steep depreciation so that you won't have to.

#723346 08/22/03 11:31 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

I recently choose getting my csvt over an srt-4, evo and all of the other new sport compacts on the market. While performance wise they might be better, when it came down to it dollar for dollar I could not get a better car for daily use!!!

98.5 Blk CSVT #6479 --------------------
#723347 08/23/03 03:27 AM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I want to buy another SVT tour,I love this damn car. It's the best feeling when you bust a modified Camaro or Mustang's ass. You dont act like you have ever done that. sell the car and buy a Hundai you might like it better .

/Mike

#723348 08/23/03 04:49 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Consumer Reports gave rave reviews to the Contour/Mystique even as late as the 1999 model year. Their review of the Mystique as the best of the domestic mid price cars swayed me to buy mine. But a couple of years later, as used cars, the same cars are on Consumer Reports lists of 'cars to avoid'.

I used to accuse CR of being biased against ANYTHING I owned...be it cars, TV's, or whatever. Never depended what I bought, CR didn't like it. I almost wrote a letter to their editor, asking them when they were going to relocate their offices to Japan, since they obviously were in bed with anything Japanese.

But in all honesty, the numbers seem to support their opinions. The Camry is the most popular car in the US. My next car will probably be Japanese, because reliability and durability are going to be my number one priority. I feel betrayed because I bought my Mystique because of CR's recommendations, then the next thing I know, they are trashing it. I've owned Fords all my life, but everything I'm hearing about them lately scares me off from buying another one.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
#723349 08/23/03 04:52 AM
Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
I'm still not seeing the point on the depreciation. He's upset because it cost him $5k (assuming the car is worth $7-$8K) to drive 50K miles, as opposed to the $2.5K he thinks it should have cost him to drive 50K miles. Either way, I think it's a helluva bargain.

Jim H 95 Midnight Blue SE (Sold) 98.5 Silver Frost E1 (Sold) '04 G35 6MT Sedan (Sold) '01 Aurora 4.0
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard