#723330 08/19/03 04:27 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RoadRunner:
Originally posted by 00SVT:
If you owe $10K on a car that is 4 years old, you either paid too much for it to begin with or you didn't put enough down.

I didn't put anything down when I bought my SE Sport new, and I only owed
a little more than $4500 in the last year of payments.
How do you figure $10,000 ?

I bought the car 1/05/2002 for 12,995 with zero down and it had 28K miles on it. Yes I have put a good amount of miles on it since then...but even with 78K miles on it, I think its worth more than $7,000-8000....all the problems it currently has is what hurts the resale value the most.
Cars are a losing proposition anyways...but I am really stuck with this one for a long time, which isn't totally a bad thing. Hopefully I can refinance my loan in a few years, because the montly payments suck!

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
#723331 08/19/03 02:37 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I bought the car 1/05/2002 for 12,995 with zero down and it had 28K miles on it. Yes I have put a good amount of miles on it since then...but even with 78K miles on it, I think its worth more than $7,000-8000....all the problems it currently has is what hurts the resale value the most.
Cars are a losing proposition anyways...but I am really stuck with this one for a long time, which isn't totally a bad thing. Hopefully I can refinance my loan in a few years, because the montly payments suck!

Sounds to me like you bought more than you can afford. I'm a strong believer in the "car buying rule" proposed by a radio talk show financial/legal advisor guy named Bruce Williams (don't know if he is still active these days). Bruce's rule for car buying was "If you can't pay off the car in 3 years, you do not have the income to afford it". Looks like you bought at least a 48 month contract? And your putting 50K miles per year on the car? If the high miles are largely work related, that's one thing, but if you are just joy riding, you are wearing the car out faster than you can afford to pay for it.

It looks like you should review your lifestyle expenditures here. At least this is my impression based on limited information within this thread.

Dave Keller
1995 Contour SE
1999 Contour SVT

#723332 08/19/03 04:06 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I know I spent too much on my car, well when I bought it I was making only about 38K/year and I got shafted on the trade in and since I bought it new in 00 the APR was 12%, I was paying $430/Month on a five year contract for my tour and that was with my trade in !!!, granted I bought the extended 60K mile warranty and also the upgraded Ford Security system but still, I got the shaft...

I ended up getting a bump in salary to 51K/year and I refinanaced through my companies credit union as they were offereing a 6% APR on used vehicles which dropped my monthly to $300, I planned on paying the old payment towards the new lower rate and getting it out of the way early but I had to leave that job because my fiancee got something in another state, now I am back to making about 40K and I can only afford to pay $300/month on it due to my other travel expenses...I think I still owe 9-10K on the car, not sure though...

I have been complaining on and off for the past few months on the poor build quality of my tour, performance is ok but man it is a major piece of junk...I really wish I could get out of it but I feel that I would take too great of a hit, and I am better off just riding it out and trying to pay it off before I hit 60K miles, the only good thing is I only have 35K on the car and it is a 2000 since I take the train in to work and also maintenece costs have been low...but other than that I want out and I want out soon, I just want to buy something used for like 15K that is nicer and call it quits.

oh well.

2000 Black Contour SVT Western/Central Massachusetts
#723333 08/19/03 04:09 PM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by imnotted:
Just bought my CSVT a few months ago, and when I got it, it was trashed. Some smoker/stoner kid owned it before me. Dirty leather, stickers and fingernail polish on stuff, and mechanically... But with a touch of TLC, it's as good as new! Don't give up on your Contour.

Good man!!

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
#723334 08/22/03 07:07 PM
L
L
I am new to the site, and I am sorry if I step on anyones toes, but my god I have been working around cars for a while. This guy should buy some gloves, if your steering wheel is peeling then you might want to wear some. I play a lot of sports and everytime i get into my 99 I put down a towel or something.

I have never seen any one person who believed that there is a spot on the exterior of a car that could not be hit by road trash. Wind, sand, water, and the rate of speed in which you travel have such a impact on paint. How can you blame a car company for things that are beyond their control.

#723335 08/22/03 08:14 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Loch:
I am new to the site, and I am sorry if I step on anyones toes, but my god I have been working around cars for a while. This guy should buy some gloves, if your steering wheel is peeling then you might want to wear some. I play a lot of sports and everytime i get into my 99 I put down a towel or something.

I have never seen any one person who believed that there is a spot on the exterior of a car that could not be hit by road trash. Wind, sand, water, and the rate of speed in which you travel have such a impact on paint. How can you blame a car company for things that are beyond their control.

Ok now that we've heard from the Lochness Monster, I think you need to stick to your natural enviornment, underwater automobile repair.

#723336 08/22/03 09:08 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Quote:

Ok now that we've heard from the Lochness Monster, I think you need to stick to your natural enviornment, underwater automobile repair.

That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on these boards.

1999 Ford Contour SVT #900/2760 (SOLD) 2005 Mazda 6s 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
#723337 08/22/03 09:13 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by cthomp21:
Quote:

I'll second that. That was CORNY!! Man, if your e-thug somebody, at least make a solid attempt at it!

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
#723338 08/22/03 09:14 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by cthomp21:
Quote:

Actually...I think this was the dumbest thing I've ever heard, not only that but it's irrelevant to my post...

******I have been working around cars for a while. This guy should buy some gloves, if your steering wheel is peeling then you might want to wear some. I play a lot of sports and everytime i get into my 99 I put down a towel or something.******

#723339 08/22/03 09:15 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Loch:

I wouldnt blame ford for causing those problems but i would blame them for not anticipating them.

Its obvious to any idiot that the car is gonna get hit with road sh!t, the least a respectable car company could do was renforce the car materials to stand up to it.

See if this explains it better: What if you got a new roof for your house. Then a year later it starts to leak. you call the roofers up and say "hey, this b!tch is leakin, fix ur crappy roof" and they respond "we built a good roof, how can you blame us for the rain & snow"....

'99 SE 2.0L 119,000 Miles No Real Mods, but its clean as a bitch! My mentality is money orientated I'm destined to live the dream for All my peeps who never made it. -AZ (Life's A Bitch)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard